Backing out of Conferences

I'm curious as to what the etiquette is with this. I haven't actually been assigned a session or panel yet, but my paper was accepted. I would hate to be a jerk about it but it's a graduate conference and I was accepted to a larger MLA-type conference and I would rather re-direct my focus/energies there.

Any opinions/experiences with this? 

Thanks!

Have you formally accepted the invitation to speak? This happens all the time-- they should be following up to see if you'll actually attend. If you haven't committed, just respond that you're sorry but you can't go. If you have already formally accepted, just write a polite email as soon as possible and explain that you'll be unable to go to the conference. 

So I had to back out of a large regional conference a few months ago and I had to do it after programs had already been made up (realllllllllly shitty). I sent the fella who was taking care of all the business a polite email briefly explaining my situation.  He was very kind and enthusiastic about seeing me at future conferences. 

We're all adults here.

But if I may ask - is the larger conference really a better opportunity? Why? (excuse my naivety)

People back out of conferences all of the time for a variety of reasons, lack of funding probably being the most prevalent. It’s not a big deal and no one is going to get mad at you for it. Everyone understands and most everyone has done it. Just give them as much notice as possible. 

But if I may ask - is the larger conference really a better opportunity? Why? (excuse my naivety)

The more prestigious the conference, the better it looks on your cv. Oh, academia politics. It sucks, but they definitely exist. This is kind of the order of prestige, from least to most:

Undergraduate Conferences

Regional Grad Conferences

National/International Grad Conferences

Regional Professional (MLA, PCA, etc.) Conferences

National/International Professional Conferences

The more prestigious the conference, the better it looks on your cv. Oh, academia politics. It sucks, but they definitely exist. This is kind of the order of prestige, from least to most:

I just want to add that there is another type of conference -- super specialized international symposiums on a particular problem in a subfield. I would rate this at one of the highest priorities because usually everyone who's anyone in the subfield will be there, and usually participation is limited. This means much longer interesting talks and more chances to connect/network with people one-on-one. The sizes are probably field dependent, but in mine, these meetings are usually 150-250 people (national professional conferences are about 1000 people) and most talks are about 25 minutes (national conferences usually have 7 minute talks). 

And, I wouldn't say it's just for the extra line in your CV. I think the experience of actually being there, meeting people, exposing your work to others is far more valuable than adding it to your CV! So, I would say "better" conferences are ones where the people you want to see your work go to. Usually prestige means more interesting people so prestige ends up correlated with "better" but not always!

For the OP's question, I agree with everyone else that it should be okay to back out of it. Just send a polite email informing the organizers of your conflict!

Edited by TakeruK

Well... I'm just curious as to if there really is a one-size fits all.  I sort of think it depends on where you are in your career.  I said "opportunity" because I value the whole experience of going. 1Q84 is an MA student according to the forum, so say for instance that the grad conf was at 1Q84's dream school and they were flying in 1Q84's second "top POI" to be the keynote speaker  from his/her second dream school. Would the opportunity to work extra close with a few folks that really matter outweigh the conference "prestige"? 

Just curious.  

I felt really horrible, but this Saturday I had to back out of an undergraduate conference scheduled for this past Monday! I saw they were forecasting heavy snow where/when I'd be driving, and it's a seven hour drive for me so I couldn't risk it. I sent a polite email, but the conference never responded, so I hope they weren't pissed . . . Either way, I'd rather have them pissed than me risk my life!

Well... I'm just curious as to if there really is a one-size fits all.  I sort of think it depends on where you are in your career.  I said "opportunity" because I value the whole experience of going. 1Q84 is an MA student according to the forum, so say for instance that the grad conf was at 1Q84's dream school and they were flying in 1Q84's second "top POI" to be the keynote speaker  from his/her second dream school. Would the opportunity to work extra close with a few folks that really matter outweigh the conference "prestige"? 

Just curious.  

General rules area always meant to be broken :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the great (and re-assuring) feedback.

Just a few clarifications:

- I did reply saying that I would attend but I have not heard any info back about scheduling or the program and it takes place in less than a month (is this normal?)

- The keynotes are not exactly in my field and I am unsure as to how well-attended a regional grad conference would be by POI to me. (Unless, in general, many English faculty from that school end up going to their own school's grad conferences).

- I have another regional grad conference lined up as well, so that's taking up my time.

- The more prestigious regional MLA-type conference definitely will have more POI of interest and, as other people have said, would probably look better on my CV.

I had to turn down my acceptance to present at a conference next month because my MA program's portfolio presentations were scheduled for the same days. I sent what I thought was a polite, apologetic letter (apologetic because I didn't notice the conflict when the presentations were announced, so I didn't proactively withdraw my paper from consideration at that point), but I never heard anything back. I felt terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update: the conference is next week and at the end of last week I still hadn't heard anything from them about my session or a followup with more information. Is this normal? I found it kind of unprofessional...

Anyway, so I emailed last week to let them know I couldn't attend due to a scheduling conflict and I never received a reply back. I feel like I burned a bridge of sorts.  Thoughts?

Just a quick update: the conference is next week and at the end of last week I still hadn't heard anything from them about my session or a followup with more information. Is this normal? I found it kind of unprofessional...

Anyway, so I emailed last week to let them know I couldn't attend due to a scheduling conflict and I never received a reply back. I feel like I burned a bridge of sorts.  Thoughts?

I wouldn't stress about it.