Need to Tell Decision to School by April 1st, but Wait-Listed at Another School...

DreamingCat

Hi, I am really panicking right now and would really appreciate some advice on the matter :( 

I've been accepted into School A's PhD Program (with full funding) and this school asked me to tell them whether I will attend there or not by April 1st.

The problem is that I've been wait-listed for School B...  and I would want to attend School B instead very much. The PhD director at School B told me I'm at the very top of the list but at the moment cannot tell me when I will be informed of the department's decision because the admitted students haven't responded in anyway up to this point. I think it is quite unlikely that I will hear from School B before April 1st... (because their official deadline for students to respond is April 15th and therefore, I don't think students will be quick enough to decline School B's offer by next week, if any.)

Since I don't have any other options apart from Schools A & B, I think I would first have to accept School A's offer before April 1st and later back out of School A if I get accepted by School B later on... (If School B says they can't accept additional students, it would mean an end to all this chaos and I would be happy to attend School A :)

But I was worried because I know that School A would be in a "difficult" position if I retracted my acceptance of the offer because they would have already mailed out their letters of rejections to other students who were on the waiting list... 

Especially since I have been admitted with full funding... it would be more difficult.

What should I do? Is it possible to ask for an extension for a deadline to notify of my decision to School A? Would it be possible for me to first accept School A's offer and turn back on my word later on if School B decides to accept me...? :( 

I guess a miracle at this moment would be that someone decides not to attend School B and he/she would notify the school before April 1st and I get removed from the waiting list so that I won't hurt someone else's chances of being admitted into School A...

Waiting with my fingers crossed! :mellow: 

I'd ask for an extension to April 15th, since that's the usual deadline to accept. 

It may or may not help your situation, since wait list decisions can often be made after April 15, but it will give you a shot. 

DreamingCat -- I don't think they're allowed to do this?  I was under the impression that the Council of Graduate Schools passed a resolution stating that all students have until April 15.  Here is a copy of it:

https://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

They have a list of schools.  Check to see if "School A" is on  there.  Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I had sent an e-mail to School A, asking them (really politely) whether I could be given an extension, but they said "NO" :(

To make matters worse, School A is not a member of CGS. (while School B is.)

I really don't know what I should do...

I get the impression that it would be difficult to back out of School A later on after I've accepted their offer.

I've heard nothing from School B up to this point, and since School B is a member of CGS, I think it is quite unlikely that I will hear from School B soon.

I guess I should have my fingers crossed and wait :)

Good Luck to everyone with their applications :D

Sciguy-

Also note that the CGS resolution is not some sort of legally binding document. It's a resolution from schools saying they'll do it, but there are always cases where they don't. It's not a document that gives you leverage over the school, although it can be helpful to remind them in requesting an extension. 

The only thing that can happen from a school asking for earlier commitments is a bad reputation. 

Ie, it doesn't "allow" or "disallow" anything, it's just a bunch of schools collectively agreeing to hold to a date for their mutual benefit. 

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use