Part time job during grad school

So like the rest of you, I don't want to have a lot of debt after getting my master's. I don't have any undergrad loans but I will definitely have debt after grad school.

Obviously I'll be taking a loan out for tuition but I've been thinking of how I'm going to be able to pay for rent every month. Now-a-days, that's obviously not cheap as well. I was wondering if it's basically impossible to have a part time job during SLP grad school or if it's manageable? I know I'll probably have to sacrifice some weekends which I'm fine with. But I'm just trying to see if I'm going to have to take a separate loan out for that as well.

Oh the joys of getting your master's...

It depends on how efficient you are with your time and how highly you regard your free time. Keep in mind, some programs don't allow you to work a second job. While I know there are exceptions and it has been done, it is rare and usually not recommend. A good friend of mine in the program tried to work through her first semester and quit (her job) within the first month and a half. This was because, while she could manage both, it was not worth the stress. 

The weekends are a nice way to: 1) destress or 2) catch up. Sometimes you are not to know what you need the weekend for until its there. 

Good luck if you do though. 

Honestly, if you can avoid working during graduate school, I would. School is going to take up A LOT of your time, and you will need free time to catch up on work as well as catch up on rest. There is a reason that most programs discourage students from working outside of the program. If at all possible, I recommend focusing on school now and worrying about the debt later. You don't want to burn yourself out or let your academics suffer.

I have also heard from current students that it is rare to have a job while completing the program, but at the same time many students have mentioned working as research assistants and doing related work with professors, or having work-study awards.  I never thought to put two and two together to ask about it when I visited programs, but it seems like some students do work part-time, at least within the program..?  Not really sure if I'm asking a question or just making a statement, but if anyone has any thoughts/something to add please feel free.

It is possible, but realistically, putting in more than 15-20 hours a week is difficult.  I'm currently working as a research assistant.  There is no way I could pay for cost of living based on the pay.  It's basically extra spending money.

I've heard from all the grad students I've spoken to that it's difficult, if not impossible, to hold a job while in this program. Although it's tempting to try to save money, I don't think it would be worth letting your education possibly suffer. Yes, loans are hard to deal with, but if you live frugally, and don't have a family or other financial obligations, you can pay them off in just a few years. Otherwise there are forgiveness and repayment options where you pay for a certain length of time, but the rest is forgiven afterwards.

I think a better way to cut down your education costs would be to apply for lots of scholarships! The applications don't take much time, and even if it's for a smaller amount of money (like $500 instead of in the thousands) - you spent maybe an hour on that application. Let's say minimum wage is $10/hour... in that hour you've made 50x what you'd earn in an hour at a part time job. :)