How to leverage your scholarship offers to go where you want.

If you are trying to choose between a school you want to go to and a school you're being lured to by more money, then call up the school where you want to be and say something like this: "I want to attend (insert name); however, I have a scholarship offer somewhere else.  Is there anything you can do to help make this decision easier financially for me?"

We were told at the grad seminar we attended that if you are a desired candidate they often will give money to keep you. This has actually worked for one of my grads.  

If you are trying to choose between a school you want to go to and a school you're being lured to by more money, then call up the school where you want to be and say something like this: "I want to attend (insert name); however, I have a scholarship offer somewhere else.  Is there anything you can do to help make this decision easier financially for me?"

We were told at the grad seminar we attended that if you are a desired candidate they often will give money to keep you. This has actually worked for one of my grads.  

Yes, it worked for my husband too when he was applying to graduate schools for philosophy.  HOWEVER, I think as an SLP you need to know your schools.  Some schools just simply DON'T have any funding for Master's students.  I feel like SLP is different than getting a Master's or Ph.D. in history (for example), because SLP is a professional degree and a lot of schools can only fund SLP Ph.D. students.  I know this is not always the case; however, it's certainly not as easy to get funding in SLP as it was for my husband when he applied to schools for philosophy.

That said, it can never hurt to ask. :)

Yes, it worked for my husband too when he was applying to graduate schools for philosophy.  HOWEVER, I think as an SLP you need to know your schools.  Some schools just simply DON'T have any funding for Master's students.  I feel like SLP is different than getting a Master's or Ph.D. in history (for example), because SLP is a professional degree and a lot of schools can only fund SLP Ph.D. students.  I know this is not always the case; however, it's certainly not as easy to get funding in SLP as it was for my husband when he applied to schools for philosophy.

That said, it can never hurt to ask. :)

You're right, it may be more difficult, but it never hurts to ask.  My SLP grad has been able to get a scholarship from a state school which was not originally offered.  And as you know state schools are notoriously tight fisted :)