How important is an assistantship?

So I am on the waitlist for an assistantship/financial aid at one of the universities to which I was accepted.

If I do not receive the position, will that hurt my chances of getting accepted to a PhD program in a few years? Is that something doctoral programs look at because it gives you more experience?

Although I would prefer not to pay for graduate school, money is not a huge problem, so I am looking at this more from an experience standpoint.

Should I still go to this school, or wait a year and try again?

Edited by hmd

you mean for a masters? Research is very important but whether you have an assistanceship or not is probably not. I would make sure you get a position with a group either way, even by just volunteering if necesary.

It won't break your prospects if you don't, but it helps to have it in my experience. It also depends on where you apply. Some schools like an interest in teaching and some experience in it; research oriented schools don't tend to care.

While there are arguments to be made about how much an MA is worth in dollars and cents, I don't know that a lack of assistantship will have that much of an effect on your PhD admission chances. Just be sure that the school that isn't providing you with funding is one that values you and has the resources to help shape you into a successful PhD student.

If you're in love with the program, or really can't wait another year, then I think you'll be okay.  Just do as the above poster said and do as much volunteering as you can.

However, if you can wait, I would actually advise it.  Not that the MA isn't worth money, but it's money you might not *need* to spend if you wait another year.  It isn't a piddly amount to shell out, so unless there is a super compelling reason to take this offer, I think waiting might really be beneficial.

Just my opinion though.  You must do what's right for your situation.

Paid about 1/3. . . closer to 1/2 once you factor in living expenses and I wouldn't do it again.  Seriously, don't pay for your MA.  I had NO idea funded MAs exist.  They do.  If you don't have a funded Ph.D. or funded MA this year, work and apply again, including more funded MA programs.  This field is shit for long-term jobs.   Don't accrue jobs to be uncertain.  I only got 1/3 funding for my MA, and knowing what I do now, I wouldn't repeat it.  

Sorry for the strong tone of the earlier post.  I'd had a couple drinks ;)  But I do regret the loan debt from my MA.  If money is no problem, maybe an unfunded MA is right for you, but there are so many great funded MAs out there that not only won't put you in debt but will also give you teaching and research experience.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I guess I was just frustrated that I haven't heard back from half of my schools and was trying to jump at any opportunity I had, but I do think it would be a wiser decision to wait until I have more funding. I just wish English wasn't such a competitive field. :P

Hopefully, I'll be moved up on the waitlist and it won't be an issue! And here goes the waiting game again haha.