Deposits at two schools?

tee-rex

Hi Grad Cafers,

I have an ethical question about putting deposits down at more than one school. My partner will likely not hear back from some schools that she's applying to until early-mid summer. Consequently, I'm put in a tough position because my decision dates are in mid-April for the most part. Is it unethical to put deposits down at two schools? These are both schools that I've received significant funding from, which I realize will impact others who have been admitted. I'm trying to do what's best for my girlfriend and I, while also doing what's right.

Thoughts? 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've noticed that some schools include in their response forms a sentence about how you agree not to put a deposit down at another institution. Does anyone think it's a bad idea? 

NO - DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Trust me on this. I am a former admission officer at a Top 5 university. Programs actually do spot checks where they compare lists of enrollees, and if anyone is double deposited, they will rescind admission to both programs because it's considered an honor code violation. Just get in touch with the people to request an extension due to mitigating circumstances. It's really not worth it to have your offers taken away and your name on a blacklist at those universities. This really does happen, more times than you realize, and it's just awful. DO NOT DO IT. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've noticed that some schools include in their response forms a sentence about how you agree not to put a deposit down at another institution. Does anyone think it's a bad idea? 

See my post below. THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. I'm a former admission officer. Programs compare lists of enrollees and double deposits results in rescinded offers of admission. The fact that you are even considering it, rather than just asking the admissions offices for some accommodation, is troubling. If you check the box, you're accountable - on a professional and ethical level. 

See my post below. THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. I'm a former admission officer. Programs compare lists of enrollees and double deposits results in rescinded offers of admission. The fact that you are even considering it, rather than just asking the admissions offices for some accommodation, is troubling. If you check the box, you're accountable - on a professional and ethical level. 

Wow, thanks for the input. This definitely changes the way I'm going to approach the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Pedanticsemantic and x-Thor,

Here's a doosy for ya, would love your advice:

I made a huge mistake and while choosin between two schools I chose one and declined the other. No funding offered at either and it is before April 15, so I don't know why I decided to do it so soon. I also havent paid any deposit yet. Well, now I'm having second thoughts and would like to have until April 15th to make my final decision.

WHAT DO I DO?? Am I going to lose both of my offers? Is it insane to decline a school and then want to accept? Or vice versa? Am I going to end up losing all of my opportunities?

Freaking out, any help would be appreciated.

I have no idea, but if I was in your case, I would try first calling/e-mailing the school you declined and ask if the offer is still available.

Also, really think it through. I've been having second thoughts about any decision ever since I got my admission offers, and every time I had one decision made for more than a few days, I changed my mind. In the end, I decided to go with one option and just roll with it. I think that as applicants we tend to place far too much value on perceived differences that are probably not that important. So, you know, try and relax a little bit, listen to your heart (and your wallet!) and then see what your options are.

Edited by X-Thor