Western Michigan University/Michigan SLP Programs

I was unable to attend the open house at Western. I'm going to an information session very close to the decision date, which makes me nervous. I'm trying to gather all the information I can about Western, as it's the program I know the least about. What are your thoughts? What are its strong points? What are its weaknesses? Etc. 

I'm deciding between 5 schools in Michigan: GVSU, Eastern, MSU, WMU, and Wayne. Thoughts on any of these schools would be appreciated as well. 

Hi! I can tell you what I know about GVSU and WMU.

I currently go to GVSU. I did undergrad elsewhere, but I am taking a year of prereqs. I have heard that the grad program has had trouble finding clinical placements for everyone in the area, and some people have to drive as far as an hour and 45 minutes to clinicals. However, a girl I know at another school says that some students there have to do the same thing. It just depends on the year I guess. The grad students at the interview day said they like the program a lot so far and didn't seem to be too upset about having to travel for clinicals. They said it's very intense, and they really don't feel like they have a life outside of school, as GVSU crams everything into 4 semesters. But I don't think any of us will have much of a life during grad school no matter where we go. Personally, I have liked going to GVSU. I like most of the faculty! It's a brand new program, which you probably know, so I'm sure there are some kinks that they have to work on in the coming years.

WMU is very well-established and the SLP program has a great reputation. I know a girl who is currently in the grad program, so I've asked her some questions, but I have not had a chance to visit, and I'm not sure I will be able to by April 15. She has loved WMU and said the faculty is helpful and approachable. The nice thing is that they have an on-site clinic, which I hear is extremely nice! Clinicals in the first fall, spring and both summers will be at the on-site clinic. Your part-time practicum will be off campus, and then you can do a full-time practicum wherever. The girl I know is doing hers in Chicago. That's all I really know about it, I hope it helps. I know absolutely nothing about the other MI programs you mentioned!

I'm very familiar with WMU and the area, and in my opinion compared to all the other schools in Michigan you mentioned, it's by far the best. The building where all your classes will be held is super modern and beautiful, and a 2 minute walk and you're at their clinic, which is very impressive. As GVSU is such a new program, there are many issues....good luck making your decision, I know it's a lot to think about! 

I visited WMU and I loved it. The faculty were welcoming, the facilities were impressive, and I've been told from a student in the program that the clinic sees such a wide variety of comm disorders so the exposure and experience is great. Good luck in making your decision.

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from EMU. Maybe they're just late this year? At least the "no news is good/bad news" isn't really relevant yet because NOBODY has heard from them...they can't reject EVERYONE, right? I just want to know! Location-wise, EMU has moved to top choice!

Yes EMU will probably be the last school you hear from. It's likely due to the amount of applicants they get (according to edfind they got almost 500 last year or something) the only thing I really know about it is that it's two semesters longer than most programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's safe to assume it's a wait-list, since they've sent out rejections already. I swore I'd be rejected from them-since I hadn't heard yet...and had a typo in my SOP-first line! But I'll take it.

It also could be a "We dont know about you yet" email. I called Michigan State asking what my status is and she said that there is no wait list yet and the people who have not heard anything yet are simply individuals whom the adcom has not decided about yet. Either way, you're still in the running.

Hi, I'm a first semester slp grad student (winter admit) at EMU. I applied for fall 2013, but my whole application packet wasn't complete until mid-March, so I didn't make the cut for fall. I got in for Winter (Jan 2014). They take 25 in fall, and 15 in winter. I don't think many schools take any new people in winter, so this was good for me.

EMU was my first choice, and the only one I seriously applied to, mostly because of cost, proximity to family, and because the SLP program is housed in the Special Ed college rather than a Health Services college; this seemed the best fit for my goal to work in schools.

I have an MA in Linguistics, and I was waived one phonetics class, but that's the only real overlap. Because I didn't do an SLP undergrad, I'm in the post-bacc program, and it's a three year stint. So far I love the classes. Even though linguistics only got me one 3-credit class waiver, my linguistics background has made a lot of material in least three of my undergrad prereqs this semester fairly easy. Some of the profs are better than others, but that's probably true at any location.

Happy to answer any EMU related questions...

Edited by Anet

Hi, I'm a first semester slp grad student (winter admit) at EMU. I applied for fall 2013, but my whole application packet wasn't complete until mid-March, so I didn't make the cut for fall. I got in for Winter (Jan 2014). They take 25 in fall, and 15 in winter. I don't think many schools take any new people in winter, so this was good for me.

EMU was my first choice, and the only one I seriously applied to, mostly because of cost, proximity to family, and because the SLP program is housed in the Special Ed college rather than a Health Services college; this seemed the best fit for my goal to work in schools.

I have an MA in Linguistics, and I was waived one phonetics class, but that's the only real overlap. Because I didn't do an SLP undergrad, I'm in the post-bacc program, and it's a three year stint. So far I love the classes. Even though linguistics only got me one 3-credit class waiver, my linguistics background has made a lot of material in least three of my undergrad prereqs this semester fairly easy. Some of the profs are better than others, but that's probably true at any location.

Happy to answer any EMU related questions...

I'm pretty sure I was not accepted to EMU this semester (haven't heard anything from them yet) so I would definitely be interested in applying for the winter. Did you think admission was more or less competitive that way?

I'm pretty sure I was not accepted to EMU this semester (haven't heard anything from them yet) so I would definitely be interested in applying for the winter. Did you think admission was more or less competitive that way?

It is a little less competitive for the winter admit; they accept fewer applications in winter, but they also get far fewer applicants, so the ratio (can't remember exact numbers they told us in orientation) is better for winter.

You could email to find out if they've made the fall decision, and if they have, ask if your application packet can be rolled over to winter. Then you won't have to re-submit anything. Last year, that is what the applications advisor advised me to do. Last year it was Dr Stevens, but you might want to dig into the slp grad pages to verify who it is this year.

@nata25 I've been told that emu does not send out waitlist notifications. So you may be on there! I know a lot of people have declined the offer (including myself) so hopefully you'll hear something around April 15:)

@nata25 I've been told that emu does not send out waitlist notifications. So you may be on there! I know a lot of people have declined the offer (including myself) so hopefully you'll hear something around April 15:)

Good to know! Thanks! 

• 11 months later...

Bumping this thread for this year! Any others accepted to WMU out there? I'll be going to one of the Open Houses, and I'm excited to see the campus and the facilities. Has anyone had any experience with changing their residency for tuition purposes at WMU? Their OOS tuition is a lot more than I thought it was. They advertise this can be done and how to do it, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful in doing so. Also, has anyone this year heard about funding yet? :) They said in the email we'd hear in a few weeks. I don't expect to get any, but I'm still hoping a little bit!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been accepted to WMU and MSU and I'm trying to decide between the two of them.  I went out of state for undergrad and am from East Lansing so MSU is what I grew up around... but I visited WMU and loved their facilities and everything they told me about the program. Will be visiting MSU April 3rd. Anyone have info on MSU and WMU's programs that could help me make my decision??