Pros and Cons... how do you choose a school?

Hello everyone,

My decision for where to go has pretty much been made already, unless I get off the waitlist at what was initially my top choice. Being waitlisted gave me a chance to really look at the other programs, though, and now one of them seems to be an equally appealing option. I'm planning to turn down the other two schools on Monday. After that, if I don't get off the waitlist, my decision is made. But if I do get off the waitlist, I'll have a really tough choice to make... one program is slightly better in one way, the other is slightly better in another way, so it all balances out. What are deciding factors for you? How are you choosing between two seemingly equal programs?

P.S. I'm sorry if this thread is annoying to those who have yet to receive an offer of admission... I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything. I realize that I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to have this dilemma. I hope you all hear good news soon - hopefully by me turning down two schools, some of you get off the waitlists. :)

I'm in a similar situation - the two schools I've been accepted to even out in my mind. One isn't necessarily better than the other, they're just different. I'm really hoping that when I visit both programs next week I'll just "know" but in case that doesn't happen, location is the biggest factor to me. One of them is where I did my undergrad so I already have a base here, the other school is in a new city, further away from my friends and family, and I'll have to figure out my barrings again. Pros and cons to both, which is what makes the decision really difficult. I'm excited to see what factors are important to other people, and what everyone ends up deciding!

Picking which program you want to choose is a tough decision. I also had to choose between two programs which both had pros and cons. One had an amazing advisor with connections, but I wasn't in love with the program and the funding was iffy for field seasons. The one I accepted has a less-prestigious advisor, but I was offered a great fellowship, and the coursework is more flexible around my research seasons. In the end, I had to choose the route that I felt would bring me the least amount of stress. I actually talked with the advisor from the first program yesterday, and we discussed collaborating while I'm at the second program, so I can have the best of both worlds.

In the end, you need to choose which program will make you the happiest. Which factors do you consider to be the most important for that happiness in the upcoming years? Maybe try making a pro-con list, and weight each of the factors.

Funding

Fit

Shared Research/Clinical Interests

Program Structure

Post-Graduate Outcomes (Check their stats on alumni placements)

Cost of Living

Climate

Most importantly...your gut. Trust it.

I am stuck between the University of South Florida and University of Central Florida...

I currently go to UCF and love my school! However, I've heard great things about USF! I'm attending th open house at USF next week so hopefully that will make my decision easier :)

Congrats on your acceptances!