Can I Accept and not attend ?

bridge_water

Hi all,

I have been accepted to a grad school but I need to Accept/Decline by April 1 . 

But I am still waiting for the decision from my top choice. If I do not get a decision from my top choice school by March 31st then definitely I need to Accept the offer from this school. 

But If I get admitted  to my top choice school after I have already accepted to his school , can I just not attend this school and go to my top choice. Or will I be obliged to attend this school once I accept the offer ? 

Please advise.

Thanks.

I am going to assume that you interviewed with your top choice.  If that is so, then I would call your top choice and explain that you have an offer that requires a response by April 1 and that you are just waiting to hear from them because they are your top choice.  Ask when they will be sending out their decisions.  Accepting and then not attending would be bad form.  You will see people in this field throughout your career you should be as professional as possible.  If you can't pin down your top choice then call the one you have been offered admission to and see if they can extend your deadline.  Good luck hope you hear soon.

I am going to assume that you interviewed with your top choice.  If that is so, then I would call your top choice and explain that you have an offer that requires a response by April 1 and that you are just waiting to hear from them because they are your top choice.  Ask when they will be sending out their decisions.  Accepting and then not attending would be bad form.  You will see people in this field throughout your career you should be as professional as possible.  If you can't pin down your top choice then call the one you have been offered admission to and see if they can extend your deadline.  Good luck hope you hear soon.

Thanks for the reply.

I have not been interviewed. I have applied for MS and I dont think they are interviewing MS applicants. I emailed my top choice program but got an automated reply with a link to FAQ section.. 

So i guess i sure need to call them .. Its sunday today , so I will call them tomorrow .. 

Thanks again .. 

If you call, I'd ask for more time. It's kinda against the "rules" (at least for PhD programs) to want decisions from students before the April 15th deadline. I don't know as much about MS programs so maybe I'm wrong here, but April 1st is kind of hitting below the belt for a PhD. I'd call and explain the situation to them. If they're worth the trouble, they'll be understanding. If not, I see no reason why you shouldn't accept and then decline later. Might also call your top choice and see if you can get a tentative decision from them. 

Edited by Nautiloid

There are no "rules".  There's simply a gaggle of schools that have signed a general promise to not require decisions before a certain deadline.  However what is the punishment for a department not adhering to it - not much.