Accidental Acceptance?

aurora_nova

So I'm really confused and on the verge of panicking right now. About two weeks ago, I heard from the director of graduate admissions for the Classics Department at Florida State that I was being offered admission and that they were "most impressed" by my application. He invited me to the open house at the end of the month and said that the graduate school would be contacting me soon. I haven't yet heard from the graduate school, but I happened to login to the online system today, and it said I was rejected! Has anyone else ever had this happen? Did they make some kind of mistake? I contacted the director again and am hoping he will clarify. Help please! :(

I haven't had this happen personally, but I have heard about these sorts of things and just want to extend my sympathies because I can only imagine how awful this must feel.

I hope that you will hear from the director soon, please keep us posted!

My hunch (take with a grain of salt): I would think the website is more likely to be an error than the contact from the director.

I haven't had this happen personally, but I have heard about these sorts of things and just want to extend my sympathies because I can only imagine how awful this must feel.

I hope that you will hear from the director soon, please keep us posted!

My hunch (take with a grain of salt): I would think the website is more likely to be an error than the contact from the director.

Yeah, it really sucks, and it's one out of only two acceptances I've received so far. Going from being told that they were "most impressed" by my application and then seeing the rejection notice on the online login was like a kick in the face. I'm really hoping it's just an error! Your post made me feel a little more hopeful, so thanks for the support.

Sue 'em for emotional distress!

I'm kidding. Best of luck, I hope it works out. I agree with Munashi.

I don't know...I think I have a pretty good case; I'm pretty distressed. I might have to consider it if it was a mistake...lol :( I hope it works out too. Thanks!

It's rare, but I've heard of departments recommending an applicant for admission to the school but then the school rejecting the applicant:/ I sincerely hope this isn't the case and hope it's just an error in the system. Best of luck!

Do you have a common last name? I was just reading a blog about PhD admissions from the view of the ad comms, and one of them said he's had actual nightmares about mixing up applicants with the same last name. 

...I hadn't thought about that. I do have a pretty common last name, so I'm hoping that's not the case...

It's rare, but I've heard of departments recommending an applicant for admission to the school but then the school rejecting the applicant:/ I sincerely hope this isn't the case and hope it's just an error in the system. Best of luck!

:( I think I would rather have the last name mix-up. With my luck, it could be either case though...guess I'll just have wait and see.

Did you hear back from the director, aurora_nova?  If not, try and call them before the end of the day so you can at least stop worrying about it and know for sure what's going on!

No reply yet, unfortunately, and the wait is killing me. I do believe that the director included his number in the previous email he sent to me, so if I haven't received a reply by email by the time I'm done with classes tomorrow, I'll give him a call. I can't wait another full day. I appreciate all of the advice and support.

No reply yet, unfortunately, and the wait is killing me. I do believe that the director included his number in the previous email he sent to me, so if I haven't received a reply by email by the time I'm done with classes tomorrow, I'll give him a call. I can't wait another full day. I appreciate all of the advice and support.

His number is probably on the school's website somewhere too, I'd imagine.  Definitely give him a ring!

I also got accepted to the FSU Classics Department for the Master's! I also did my undergrad here so I know most of the staff really well. Dr. Romano, the director of graduate admissions, is very kind and usually very quick to reply. What I would do is make sure that the attachment to the email Dr. Romano sent you (the one that actually has the binding contract for you to sign) has your full name on it. I will tell you that the admissions department at FSU is a real pain in the a**, and I went here for my undergrad and live in Tallahassee!!! It's more the system that is complicated rather than the people. So try to contact Dr. Romano again and the admissions office too. Also, are you coming to the open house on Friday?? I will be there.

I called, but am still waiting to hear back...

C&S- The thing is I didn't get an attachment with Dr. Romano's email. He said that I was accepted to the department and the committee was forwarding their decision to the graduate school, and I should receive notification soon. Unfortunately, two weeks have passed since then and I haven't heard anything, and then I saw the rejection on the online login. So I'm very worried that for some reason I was accepted by the department only to be rejected by the graduate school, or that perhaps he accidentally contacted me in error. :( I've emailed and called him, but so far I haven't gotten a reply. I didn't think about contacting the admissions office, but I think that will be my next step. I'd love to attend the open house, but because of scheduling and finances, I can't make it...perhaps it's a good thing with everything that's going on. It would be very awkward if I were to attend but found out I wasn't actually accepted...

One of my friends received the admission letter from U Pittsburg, but it turned out it was a mistake from the admission department( name problem). It sucks, so my friend is arguing with them, Hopefully she will still be admitted anyway. It's not her and your fault at all, right? Just like the news happened in Britain, the ATM machine spilled out cash without need of card, so some people got free money. The bank said it's their fault, and they don't have the right to get the money back.  Reasonably, they can't just take your admission back and leave you suffering, right.

For what I'm saying above, it is the worst case. It may be their computer system fucked up. Don't worry, cheer up.

Best luck to you!!!!

Keep us updated, we all here for you!

I hate to say this and I really hope it's not the case here but something similar did actually happen to me last year. Was recommended by the department but admitted on probation by the grad school (= couldn't receive any funding/ = no chance to attend).

If I were you, I would call the grad school and ask them  At least you will know what's going on which is always better than drive yourself crazy trying to guess what's your status. Also, if the worst was to happen, you would still have time to contact your proffesor and see if he can 'convince' the admissions team to admitt you.

Again, I really hope it was just a mistake and that everything works out fine.

Best of luck!!!,

One of my friends received the admission letter from U Pittsburg, but it turned out it was a mistake from the admission department( name problem). It sucks, so my friend is arguing with them, Hopefully she will still be admitted anyway. It's not her and your fault at all, right? Just like the news happened in Britain, the ATM machine spilled out cash without need of card, so some people got free money. The bank said it's their fault, and they don't have the right to get the money back.  Reasonably, they can't just take your admission back and leave you suffering, right.

For what I'm saying above, it is the worst case. It may be their computer system fucked up. Don't worry, cheer up.

Best luck to you!!!!

Keep us updated, we all here for you!

I don't think sending someone the wrong admissions decision and expecting the school to honor it is all that similar to the ATM machine. To keep with the money theme, I think it's more like you receiving someone else's bank statement in error who has a much higher balance. Unfortunately, that money doesn't become yours just because you glimpsed the balance; that money still belongs to the other person. If schools make a mistake, especially if the candidates have very similar or even the exact same name, the school has no reason to honor the incorrect acceptance, since it already belongs to someone else. 

I don't think sending someone the wrong admissions decision and expecting the school to honor it is all that similar to the ATM machine. To keep with the money theme, I think it's more like you receiving someone else's bank statement in error who has a much higher balance. Unfortunately, that money doesn't become yours just because you glimpsed the balance; that money still belongs to the other person. If schools make a mistake, especially if the candidates have very similar or even the exact same name, the school has no reason to honor the incorrect acceptance, since it already belongs to someone else. 

This situation completely sucks but I agree with your reasoning. I bet that these things happen fairly often.

OP, let us know when you hear back! I really hope you hear good news!

I'm also not sure you'd want to attend a school that didn't actually want to admit you.  That would be a very awkward situation to have to deal with...

So after a very stressful last couple of days in which I played phone tag with the director of graduate admissions for the Classics department, I am happy to report that the situation is resolved! I finally broke down and called the FSU admissions office when I failed yet again to get in contact with the actual department, and after spending half an hour on hold, I was told that I was indeed admitted and due to a "clerical error" the decision on my application was mistakenly submitted as a rejection. They said it will take about a week to fix my status, but I'm just glad that's over with and I'm no longer stuck in limbo!

Thanks everyone! I really hope that no one ever has to go through this!

• 2 weeks later...

So after a very stressful last couple of days in which I played phone tag with the director of graduate admissions for the Classics department, I am happy to report that the situation is resolved! I finally broke down and called the FSU admissions office when I failed yet again to get in contact with the actual department, and after spending half an hour on hold, I was told that I was indeed admitted and due to a "clerical error" the decision on my application was mistakenly submitted as a rejection. They said it will take about a week to fix my status, but I'm just glad that's over with and I'm no longer stuck in limbo!

Thanks everyone! I really hope that no one ever has to go through this!

Agh, meant to upvote, so sorry! x_x

Congratulations!!