Waitlist Success Stories!

Await

If you've gotten in off of a waitlist (I see you on the results page!) please share your victory here! There are a lot of us who need some vicarious excitement. And if you think you influenced the adcom decision in some way, do tell! Congratulations. . .

I had two wait lists and nothing else. So awkwardly, I called both schools and pretty much threw myself at their mercy and asked what I could do to stay proactive while "waiting"- the first school that accepted me, I contacted the Director of Admissions and when she called me back (the story of which I posted in funny admission stories- I answered with I love you baby thinking she was my boyfriend, haha) she told me to write an informal email discussing my continued interest in their school. I am really enthusiastic about their study abroad options and I wrote exactly which programs I want to take, why those particular programs and how that would complement my MA and the languages I know. anddddd she emailed me back saying I was in :D super awesome feeling to know I'm going somewhere! (I took a chance & only applied to my top three schools so either of the two saying yes is like going to my top choice school since I like them all equally). :D I almost feel like after being on the wait list it makes getting in even more exciting.

Await Great thread topic!

Whitneyyy That is a fantastic story! I wrote several emails, and then thought, hell, I should have called. Oh well. I may still call next week. I was told, however, that the adcom takes students based on how they will be complementary to the incoming class. Maybe I should tell them I love them! :lol:

Await Great thread topic!

Whitneyyy That is a fantastic story! I wrote several emails, and then thought, hell, I should have called. Oh well. I may still call next week. I was told, however, that the adcom takes students based on how they will be complementary to the incoming class. Maybe I should tell them I love them! :lol:

haha :lol: well, in my limited experience, it definitely works :D there was a little bit of an awkward pause.. but leave it to me to further be awkward and fill that pause with and I love your university, I would love to attend dot dot dot :D

Good luck though! I would definitely call by the start of next week- because I emailed said University ^^ asking to know about my admission decision, and WELL after I receieved the hard copy, a month later to be exact- they write back saying I had been wait listed. I wanted to write, well, I got the memo, it is in fact a whole month later. But I called, and I got call backs from both schools within the hour.

I'll cross my fingers for you :)

I was on a waitlist for my program for 2 1/2 weeks before I found out I was accepted. Definitely not as long as the wait for some but it did feel longer. I personally did not call or write to find out my status, but I do not think that it could hurt and it may help to feel more proactive in the situation. But I want to let people know that you can get off the waitlist and be admitted. Just stay optimistic! :)

I was placed on the waiting list at my two top choices... thankfully, I was accepted to both.

Concerning my second choice university, I was notified of my waiting list status in mid-March and I was accepted to the program around April 10th (can't remember exact dates). The DGS wasn't the friendliest person and didn't respond to my request for more information (e.g. ranked/unranked, etc.). I was accepted with funding and I think the decision may have been influenced by my research interests, which the department seems to be building on.

Concerning my first choice university, I received notification that I was ranked first on the waiting list around late-March. This was an intense experience for a variety of reasons. This school guaranteed unmatched funding for all successful applicants, it was ranked 1st in the country (top 15 internationally), and they received over 350 apps for about 10 spots. After speaking with a few current students, it seems that they don't usually admit applicants off the waiting list either. Anyway, I received notification of my acceptance on April 15th! When I saw the email sitting in my inbox, I literally thought I was dreaming. The DGS was so helpful/understanding throughout it all, I was just so grateful.

And here's the best part... when I emailed university #2 and politely declined their offer, I received a somewhat snarky response from the DGS followed by a casual offer for more funding. I don't have much of an ego, but that part did feel nice!

I really hope things work out for applicants currently on waiting lists; I would never wish this uncertainty upon anyone!

• 3 weeks later...

By mid-April I was freaking out. I hadn't heard anything yet, not even notification that I was wait-listed. After calling once and sending two e-mails, I was notified on April 23 that I was on first on the reversion list.

After being in limbo for about a week and a half, I received the e-mail telling me I was being offered admission and full funding. What angers me the most, is that when the letter arrived on May 6th, it was dated April 16th. I waited for about three weeks, and all they had to do was tell me I was admitted. But I can't complain I only applied to two schools, and this school was my first choice :)

Do not give up hope, even during the summer. One of the professors that I have crown close with during my UG told me a story. She applied to an elite University for an MA program and was gutted when she heard she was waitlisted. This was where she really wanted to go. She carried on all summer, and accepted at another university. She got a call in August telling her she was being offered admission because someone had died. A sad, morbid, and weird twist of fate.

Never give up hope!

• 10 years later...

Wonderful and inspiring stories! I was waitlisted on December, 2019 and have not hear back from the school. I decided to email the Director of training for the Phd program today, restating my interest in the program and requesting to to follow up with a phone call. He replied within minutes, scheduling a time for the phone conversation! I will be talking with the director a few days from now, and I have been wondering what questions might come up from his end. I'll appreciate any hints about possible questions and what I should emphasize. I am really hopeful to be taken off the waitlist and I hope it's. very soon!