Sociology of Religion vs. Religion Program - help!

Blackbloc

I’ve been accepted to University A Religion program and to University B Sociology program (both with the same research focus – immigration and religion). Now, I need to decide on which one to attend, but am really not sure where to go.  

Let me write down the pros and cons of each program in my opinion. Keep in mind that I am an international student.

U-A - Sociology

Pros

1. Located in a big city - there is a great immigrant community understudied;
  2. Have already offered funding package for four years;
  3. Great fit (in my SoP I mentioned three potential supervisors);
  4. I have a MA in Sociology

Cons

1. New and not yet ranked program;

U-B - Religion

Pros

1. Incredible POI;
  2. More prestigious university;
  3. I have a Master of Divinity (Seminary degree)

Cons

1. Located in a small city without a significant immigrant community – I will have to travel for field work;
  2. Have not yet offered funding – but will soon, I hope;

Which university do you think I should go? Just one more piece of information.  If I decide to stay in the US after PhD, the Religion program would be better and would probably give me more opportunities. On the other hand, if I decide to return to my country, Sociology would be better and would open more and better doors.

I would really appreciate some insights!

PS: I may add some other pros and cons later as I think more about both offers. 

Are you planning on teaching after you graduate? If so, you should consider which field you would enjoy teaching in more. In another form, would you rather teach Intro to Religion, or Intro to Sociology? 

Honestly, I love both fields. I can easily teach both disciplines with the same passion. And yes, I am planning on teaching and researching after I graduate. 

As of now, the first university seems to be the only viable option, seeing as you don't have funding information from the second. I'd wait to see the kind of funding package you receive from the religion program, as I think that should be an important factor in your decision.

Well, you don't have funding at School B.  So right now that should be off the table, IMO.  You should not do an unfunded PhD.  But it could be they are just trying to figure out your package and will offer you one later.

Assuming that they are both funded, it looks like you are more excited about School A.  There's also a big advantage to being able to do fieldwork at home rather than travel (I'm not in sociology, but a lot of my friends are and traveling to do fieldwork takes time and money!) and it looks like there are far more people who can supervise your work and serve on your committee (what happens if your PoI at School B leaves for whatever reason?).  Is School A an already reputable university?  And do they already have a reputable sociology program and are just adding a new sociology of religion program?  Presumably the professors in the program are already established scholars who are currently teaching at the university and are moving into this program.  What is their record of scholarship?  Are they recognized?  Even though the program is new, things like these can give you clues to how the program will end up being seen by colleagues who are hiring you in 6-8 years.

It looks like the things luring you to consider School B are the "incredible PoI" and the more prestigious university.  But more prestigious university doesn't matter so much as more prestigious program/department, and even then, fit is more important.

Another thing to think about is what approach you would prefer to take.  It is my sense that both fields have significant, established, and varied theoretical underpinnings.  What I mean is - there are certain people you will read and be expected to know in a sociology program and certain, different, people you will be expected to read and know in a religion program.  They may overlap, of course.  But sociologists and religion scholars take different approaches in answering their research questions.  I get the sense that sociologists are more considered social scientists, while religion scholars may straddle the line between the social sciences and the humanities, or may be firmly in the humanities depending on who you ask and what you study.  But that may change your eligibility for some things (e.g., the NSF fellowship).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use