Computer Science, UCSD VS UCLA

fist0512

I got admitted to UCSD, UCLA as Computer Science Master(no funding)

I have to make decisions between UCSD and UCLA.

my ultimate goal is getting a job in Silicon Valley, not Ph.D

I heard that : 

in living cost UCLA(cheaper) > UCSD

opportunity UCLA(the biggest city in Western) > UCSD

life quality UCLA < UCSD(the paradise)

rankging : UCLA >= UCSD(almost similar)

how about reputation in Silicon Valley or Jober recruiter? 

which one would be better choice for me?

Both are excellent schools. I attend another UC campus and know the 2 locations fairly well. 

I also got into UCLA and UCSD for EECS and would choose UCLA if those were my 2 choices. 

Los Angeles is a huge emerging tech hub and is said to be the next "Silicon Valley." From my short research, there are many more software start ups in the LA area such as Rapgenius, Snapchat, Occulus (which was just sold to Facebook). 

Hackathons are also starting to become a huge deal for software engineers. UCLA's hackathon (http://www.lahacks.com/) is one of the more popular ones in the nation and draws countless companies and recruiters. 

These are all positives if you're trying to get into the whole start-up/social media side of software engineering with your CS degree.

If anyone has a counter argument in favor of UCSD, please do share! =)

UCSD is in a way nicer area and has the beach. There is no difference in academics or reputation in CA. San Diego and Los Angeles are so close anyway, so job opportunities in the area WILL NOT be limited to which school you went to. Any company that hires from UCLA will also hire from UCSD.

People are saying the same thing about San Diego becoming the next "Silicon Valley". People say this about New York, LA, SD, Austin, the list goes on... I would take this with a grain of salt because people claim this about every city. And if any part of Southern California becomes like this, you can bet both UCSD and UCLA will be amazing schools to attend.

Trust me when I say that every tech company in CA knows UCSD, UCLA, and Berkeley. The only reason non-tech people might not know UCSD as well is because they have no football team. You will NEVER find that you won't get great opportunities because you chose UCSD over UCLA. Qualcomm (which is in SD, not SV) prefers to hire from UCSD, but also hires from UCLA. UCSD is gaining a lot of popularity now that enough time has passed (UCSD is only like 50 years old); I wouldn't be surprised if they become a top 10 school in little time.

Anyone who claims UCSD or UCLA is better just has a bias for that school so it is pointless to ask. Just pick based on temporary location/specific program. I would go with whichever area you like more.

Edited by Meirrin

I got a relative that works for a subsidiary of amazon, and he consistently goes to ucsd to interview students, but not ucla. I would choose ucsd. Good city, weather, rep, cheaper, etc. Good luck to you and your endeavors!

But I am biased because I dont really like LA as a city... Both are great programs so you can't go wrong with what you choose.

Edited by skyentist

i heard that professors in UCLA CS usually do not care students, but UCSD is different, if i go to UCSD, I would be intensively cared by professors or career center as other said to me. is that true?

i heard that professors in UCLA CS usually do not care students, but UCSD is different, if i go to UCSD, I would be intensively cared by professors or career center as other said to me. is that true?

Funny, I had this same experience with Bio/Neuroscience at UCSD - the professors there seem genuinely interested in your success. Maybe it's the weather?

Edited by Kimberlayon

UCSD is in a way nicer area and has the beach. There is no difference in academics or reputation in CA. San Diego and Los Angeles are so close anyway, so job opportunities in the area WILL NOT be limited to which school you went to. Any company that hires from UCLA will also hire from UCSD.

People are saying the same thing about San Diego becoming the next "Silicon Valley". People say this about New York, LA, SD, Austin, the list goes on... I would take this with a grain of salt because people claim this about every city. And if any part of Southern California becomes like this, you can bet both UCSD and UCLA will be amazing schools to attend.

Trust me when I say that every tech company in CA knows UCSD, UCLA, and Berkeley. The only reason non-tech people might not know UCSD as well is because they have no football team. You will NEVER find that you won't get great opportunities because you chose UCSD over UCLA. Qualcomm (which is in SD, not SV) prefers to hire from UCSD, but also hires from UCLA. UCSD is gaining a lot of popularity now that enough time has passed (UCSD is only like 50 years old); I wouldn't be surprised if they become a top 10 school in little time.

Anyone who claims UCSD or UCLA is better just has a bias for that school so it is pointless to ask. Just pick based on temporary location/specific program. I would go with whichever area you like more.

I agree with everything said here. Especially "the next Silicon Valley" comment. It's just like "this startup will be the next big thing."

I think UCLA housing is way more expensive than UCSD's. UCLA dorms are so small....apts nearby probably expensive too. Space is a luxury at UCLA, it's the smallest UC campus of all.

For CS and engineering UCSD usually outdoes UCLA by 1 or 2 places. UCSD is spacious with lots of areas to expand.

Overall UCLA is a much stronger school in other areas, such as business, law, etc. and the common perception is that UCLA is better because of the much higher selectivity for undergrad admissions.

For reputation, you should choose UCLA. For practicality and career outcomes, either UCSD or UCLA would serve you well.