Which people to email when rejecting an offer

Sorry if this is already being discussed elsewhere - I searched the forums and couldn't find anything. I was just wondering, when declining an offer, should you email both the DGS and the professor with whom you had contact after the offer of acceptance? It wouldn't exactly be a POI, I guess, but rather someone I had talked to about the specific program I was accepted into. 

Definitely email the DGS.  I'd also email the professor just to say you appreciate the information he/she provided and that it was a difficult decision (basically something that is polite and thanks her/him for her/his time).

E-mail the DGS and if there's a professor who had reached out to you following your acceptance, I don't think it would be out of line to email them as well. While you may not be going to their program, it's likely not the last time your paths will be crossing and letting them know you appreciated their shared insight about the program (or whatever you spoke about) is a nice gesture.

Also, many schools also have an official form online that needs to be submitted as well, so don't forget to do that.

Agree with the above. I would just say to email these people separately, not just a mass email. Send the official official decline to the Graduate School itself via web form or whatever format they want. Send a formal email to the DGS to inform the department directly of your decision (instead of them having to hear it from the grad school). Also send personal emails to the profs that you had a good connection with and let them know too.