Money no longer a considerations, so HKS or GPPI?

A newly discovered external funding source means that funding (or lack there of) is no longer a factor in my grad school decision. That being said, I am struggling to decide: HKS or GPPI?

Harvard is, well, Harvard. Alumni network is amazing (with numerous contacts and internship opportunities in the current administration in particular).

I keep hearing that the "great internships go to Harvard kids." Also feel like if I decide to leave DC (say my husband's work takes us to the West Coast), the Harvard name will be more recognized?

GPPI has the advantage of being in DC, which means I could do internships all year, and NOT have to relocate to do an internship during the summer. (Particularly nice, since I have two small kids).

So, advise please!! With funding no longer an issue, HKS for the brand, or GPPI for the location??

At HKS, I'll be pursuing the International Global Affairs (IGA) track. At GPPI, I'll be pursuing the Homeland Security Track. My ten years in the Navy translates nicely into International security studies. I'm particularly interested in the intersection of hard and soft power.

Thanks!

In your situation I would go for HKS. The name, the quality and range of courses and the network would more than make up for the location in my opinion. It sounds like you have considerable professional experience from your time before grad school, so I wouldn't worry too much about doing summer internships only.

At HKS, I'll be pursuing the International Global Affairs (IGA) track. At GPPI, I'll be pursuing the Homeland Security Track. My ten years in the Navy translates nicely into International security studies. I'm particularly interested in the intersection of hard and soft power.

Thanks!

We have similar backgrounds and interests with the exception being that I've been working on this very subject for the past few years.

I would personally choose Georgetown.

It's a personal assessment, but at Georgetown they have more people working on these issues. Harvard is good, but they literally have about 2 people who have actually been working on this topic and their major projects revolve around mass atrocity response. Meanwhile, at GT you have people like Elizabeth Kvitashvili Who is in charge of USAID DCHA and is making this intersection happen right now or you have others who have been involved in the evolution of "Smart Power".

The perceived difference in name and network is absolutely false and I'd be curious to see some objective measure that puts the quality of courses at Harvard substantially better than Georgetown. Also, as this is literally something that is being revolutionized in Washington right now it's very hard to imagine that you'd be better off in Boston when you can attend all the lectures on the topic and can work in the organizations doing these things.

In terms of breadth of courses, you don't get better in statecraft training than the School of Foreign Service and their international development program is more holistic as opposed to quant focused..which is about worthless for what you want to do. You'd also find some of the courses on war and conflict management very relevant to the subject, which frankly, Harvard does not have. If you go to Harvard you'll most likely end up at fletcher to take a lot of these courses.

So yea. Georgetown. Just my opinion though.

Deechi, just to clarify, my acceptance is to the Georgetown Pubic Policy Institute, not the SFS (didn't apply there). Still Georgetown? I would be able to take SFS course, but the focus of my degree would be the extensively quantitative Georgetown MPP. BTW, why is the quant stuff not so useful? Just curious--am I totally wasting my time with either of these courses of study?

Deechi, just to clarify, my acceptance is to the Georgetown Pubic Policy Institute, not the SFS (didn't apply there). Still Georgetown? I would be able to take SFS course, but the focus of my degree would be the extensively quantitative Georgetown MPP. BTW, why is the quant stuff not so useful? Just curious--am I totally wasting my time with either of these courses of study?

Yea. You're fine. I meant specifically for international development. I have a degree in ID and there are definitely different approaches to international development in Academia, those who take a more quant focus and those who take a more qual focus. Harvard's program in ID is probably the most quant heavy program and with your background and interests you won't get as much out of it, IMO. You'll have the better choices with the ID program at Georgetown.

In general, there is nothing wrong with Quant.

I'm voting HKS only because I met you at the visit day (just before the IGA presentation) and think that your experiences and perspective are things I'd love to have in a classmate. Either school is going to be great, though - go with your gut.