Out of field, low GPA...any way I can get in? Also, merits of postbac?

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, and I'm a bit concerned about my application. 

I plan to apply this Fall for Fall 2015 admission. I should have a GPA of 3.0 when I apply. The reason that it is so low is that I was an engineer for two years. My GPA has gone up since I switched to linguistics. I plan to take the GRE this summer, but I took a practice one through Kaplan and got in the mid-150s. 

I am worried that my GPA will kill me when applying. In addition, I will need to find a school with some form of postbac or extended master's, as my undergrad degree is not in CDS. To help my application, I have 60 observation hours and research experience (including a poster presentation). 

I am still confused as to whether I should apply for a postbac or extended master's program. A few Cal States offer postbacs, and the one I am most interested in is Sacramento State. It's the only one that offers a degree at the end (Northridge and Long Beach don't). However, some schools seem to indicate that doing a postbac harms chances of admission. Others indicate the exact opposite.

What should I do?

Also, can you recommend any schools for me that may overlook a low GPA (or only look at the last two years) and notice that I have extracurriculars and passion?

Thanks in advance!

I would definitely recommend getting a 2nd Bachelor's degree before applying to schools.  Here's my reasoning (copied and pasted from another thread):

1. There are a limited number schools that accept students without prereqs.  Thus, getting a slot in an extended Master's program is VERY competitive and I don't think a 3.0 GPA will cut it.

2. Schools often have different requirements for prereqs.  For example, three schools you apply to might want Aural Rehab and two schools don't care.  Doing the 2nd Bachelors ensures that you cover all your bases and are able to apply to a wide range of schools that have different prereqs.

2. If you have a low undergrad GPA, showing that you can get an excellent GPA in a 2nd Bachelors program will help your chances.  

3. Some schools require that you have a degree in Communication Disorders.

Hope that helps!  I'm sorry I don't have more information on California schools because I'm not from that area.

Just so you know, I'm an out-of-fielder too and I've been doing prereqs at Utah State.  I have LOVED my experience there.  It's very well organized and seems to be well known throughout the SLP community as having a good reputation for an online school.  It's also fairly inexpensive at only $275 a credit (everyone taking classes online gets in-state tuition).

Edited by sayjo

Thank you so much for your advice! I've been hearing such conflicting advice about whether to do a postbac or not, but based on my low stats, I think that I should do a postbac. 

Thank you so much for your advice! I've been hearing such conflicting advice about whether to do a postbac or not, but based on my low stats, I think that I should do a postbac. 

I think in your case it will definitely help!  Schools will care a lot more about you COMD GPA than some engineering classes that you took years ago.  And (if I'm correct) I believe California uses SLPAs, so if for some reason you don't get into grad school on your first try, you can work as an SLPA since you've done the second bachelor's.  Don't quote me on this, however.  I only have a loose understanding of how the California system works and I may be wrong.

Best of luck!

sayjo,

I completely agree with what other people are saying. I did Idaho State University's postbacc program and it was great. I got great recs from SLP professors, too. Some programs only calculate your SLP GPA too, so if you did a postbacc, that could help a ton. My undergrad gpa was 3.1, but my postbacc was 3.8. Just something to think about.

I would definitely recommend getting a 2nd Bachelor's degree before applying to schools.  

So then do grad schools prefer those with second bachelor's instead of postbac? I am completing a postbac right now, but after reading this, I feel as though I should've gone with the second bachelor's route (maybe it's the reason why I still haven't gotten accepted). I have gotten great grades in speech classes though!

So then do grad schools prefer those with second bachelor's instead of postbac? I am completing a postbac right now, but after reading this, I feel as though I should've gone with the second bachelor's route (maybe it's the reason why I still haven't gotten accepted). I have gotten great grades in speech classes though!

One of the main reasons I did a second bachelor instead of just the prerequisites was so I could get federal student loans.  As far as I know, students are only eligible for federal funding if they're degree seeking, so that made my decision for me.  I don't think it would be a decision for acceptance unless you didn't do well or didn't compete all the required courses.

I know that a few of the schools I looked into would ONLY consider applicants that had a DEGREE in communication disorders.  However, that doesn't seem to be the norm, so you should be fine.

I am a post-bac and third year applicant. My BA is in Political Science. My GPA is only a 2.77 (clearly I had different priorities my first few years). I went back to school and got a post-bac certificate and got a 3.75. My last 60 units GPA is a 3.54. My GRE scores are 149-Verbal, 151-quant, and 4.0 AW. I finally got my first acceptance letter this year. After 12 rejections it finally happened. I talked to some of the schools and they told me that having a second bachelors would help (esp with my old GPA), to retake the GRE (which I did and went up 12 points), to rewrite my personal statement and make it very strong, and to get more than the minimum required letters of reference. If I didn't get accepted this year, I was going to take the few extra courses and get a second bachelors. I think it is very beneficial. Good luck!

Bah! I'm a Psych major with a 3.4 GPA trying to graduate with a 3.5 GPA (at least). My GPA for these last couple of years has been close to 3.8 and I'm STILL considering USU's postbacc to improve my chances. They seem to have an excellent program at a fair cost. I'm also getting some relevant experience so I have lots to tell in my personal statement and getting along with professors to get good letters.

You're not alone. This competition scares me a little too but failure is certain if you don't try! 

sayjo,

I completely agree with what other people are saying. I did Idaho State University's postbacc program and it was great. I got great recs from SLP professors, too. Some programs only calculate your SLP GPA too, so if you did a postbacc, that could help a ton. My undergrad gpa was 3.1, but my postbacc was 3.8. Just something to think about.

Hey there!

I just wanted to give ISU another shout out. I completed the ISU post-bacc program as well and it was wonderful! =)

Thank you to everyone who has replied! I didn't realize that there was a difference between a second bachelor's and a postbac. I'm thinking that a second bachelor's may be more helpful, as you get a degree in the end (some schools that I am looking at don't give a degree at the end of their postbac). Am I correct in the assumption that a second bachelor's will open more doors than a postbac?

Thank you to everyone who has replied! I didn't realize that there was a difference between a second bachelor's and a postbac. I'm thinking that a second bachelor's may be more helpful, as you get a degree in the end (some schools that I am looking at don't give a degree at the end of their postbac). Am I correct in the assumption that a second bachelor's will open more doors than a postbac?

If you are hoping to get into graduate school for SLP someday it wont matter if you went for a post-bacc or a second degree in CSD. Graduate schools care that you have taken the required prerequisites. I honestly don't think a second bachelors will open more doors than a post-baccalaureate program. This is just my opinion. I have never seen a graduate SLP program require students to have a degree in CSD. Every program I've looked into requests that the applicant have a CSD undergrad degree OR have a bachelor degree + completed CSD prerequisites.

If you are hoping to get into graduate school for SLP someday it wont matter if you went for a post-bacc or a second degree in CSD. Graduate schools care that you have taken the required prerequisites. I honestly don't think a second bachelors will open more doors than a post-baccalaureate program. This is just my opinion. I have never seen a graduate SLP program require students to have a degree in CSD. Every program I've looked into requests that the applicant have a CSD undergrad degree OR have a bachelor degree + completed CSD prerequisites.

Hmmm...I saw several schools that wanted a degree in CSD (even applied to one) and would accept nothing less.  Granted, those schools are few and far between.  Most schools just require having their prereqs complete.   

Governors State University require that you have a degree in CSD and nothing else.  

Definitely get that second bachelors. I applied with a 3.0 out of field for this year and didn't get in anywhere. I had decent GRE scores as well and that still didn't help. I also had volunteering experience from a speech clinic and good letters of rec. Nothing helped me. Im a florida resident so i'm doing the second bachelors all online through USF. I know they have a reputable Masters program so Im hoping there second bachelor sis just as good! 

I don't think it matters as long as you 1. dont apply to schools that specifically require a degree (most don't) and 2. Get great grades either way you go. I'm about to complete my post-bac this spring and this application season was accepted to the two schools I was wait listed at last year. I really think the grades in the CSD matter more than post bacc vs. second degree. Best of luck!

^ Our linguistics department is heavily theoretical (I know since I'm a linguistics major). I will need to postbac or take the courses elsewhere in order to be accepted for a master's program.