What does all the silence mean?

Terry O'

It's late march and I've received one rejection and no acceptances from the four schools I've applied to. The others have been completely silent. One or two results from the schools have popped up on the results page (both rejections and acceptances), but I’ve heard nothing. Can anyone chime in on what the silence means? One users suggested it means I’ve been rejected for a PhD (seems likely) but possibly will be accepted for a Masters. Anyone have experience or insight on this. Although I won’t be crestfallen if rejected, the wait is maddening. 

I know what you mean! One of the schools that I applied to (and the only one that I have not heard back from) has been completely silent. I even emailed admissions and my POI to see if I could get a timeline. That was a week ago and I still have not heard a word. Best of luck to you!

I am sailing in the same boat. There are a couple of universities I applied to and some of my friends have got either acceptance or rejection from them weeks back, but I haven't heard a word. I applied for MS-CS.Tried emailing the university but no response. Can anyone suggest what this could mean??

If there have been acceptances and rejections already, you're on some sort of unofficial waitlist. The list is usually pretty long so I wouldn't get your hopes up, but they probably saw something in your application that they liked. Have you tried emailing the schools to find out your status?

I'm still waiting for two schools, and it's very frustrating. One had a deadline in early January (like January 3rd) and the other was January 15th. After not hearing anything from either school, I finally emailed both of them this week, because I've gotten acceptances from two other programs and need to figure out where I'm going fairly soon. They both got back to me within a couple of days, but the replies were not very helpful. Both are still in the process of reviewing applications(!), although at least one did say that they were pretty sure I wouldn't be accepted. I'm a little bummed after getting that email, because I had good hopes for that program, but I can't feel too bad about it because it was worded pretty rudely... I'm just hoping I get official decisions some time in the next two weeks, before I have to give a decision on the program that's offered me funding...

If there have been acceptances and rejections already, you're on some sort of unofficial waitlist. The list is usually pretty long so I wouldn't get your hopes up, but they probably saw something in your application that they liked. Have you tried emailing the schools to find out your status?

I tried to email them, but didnt get any helpful response. All they said was due to a large volume we are not able to respond directly and then gave some links.

I wonder how can I get wait listed (unofficially) at 3 universities. I'm going bonkers here..

Thanks for your input though !!

Edited by jediiivj

I have been rejected from two and haven't heard back from the other four.  Although one school hasn't reviewed my application at all yet, I'm still in the pile.  I emailed a director from another program and he stated they are currently reviewing applications.  The other two I highly doubt I'll be accepted to.

I applied only for masters programs, btw.  I think it is rare to have any acceptances this late for any Ph.D. programs.

Edited by acarr

I am still waiting for any rejection or acceptance... 4 Californian colleges, 2 for Master and 2 for PhD... Starting to worry about the PhD applications, thought... Nice to know that I am not alone.