Northwestern 2014

angelperak

I can't find another Northwestern thread in the Meet & Greet forum, so I thought I would start one. I'm 99% sure I will be attending Northwestern in the Fall (PhD in English). Anyone else planning to make NU their academic home for the next 5+ years? I will be completely new to the Chicago area so would love to know I'm not going to be alone!

Hi there! I will be attending NU sociology. I am super excited about it! Recently talked with a fellow NU student, aside from the famous cold winters, I hear it is a great place to do PhD (excellent funding, many research opportunities , super cool professors).  

Hi angelperak and gretagarbo!

I will be attending Northwestern this fall as a graduate in their Documentary in Media program.  I've been to Chicago a couple times, but never in the winter.   I'm excited about everything except their dreary weather.  Nonetheless, I've only heard great things about the school and will visit the campus sometime in July.

Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I think we'll all have to buy big down coats to survive the winters ;) I've been doing lots of reading about the area and it sounds like there is a lot to do. I did my undergrad and Masters at university in a small town in New Zealand, so I'm expecting culture shock but also some really interesting experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering have you guys received your financial aid package.

I received info about funding in my acceptance letter, but I assume that different departments have different funding protocol.

I received info about funding in my acceptance letter, but I assume that different departments have different funding protocol.

^^^This.  If you haven't received any notification you should inquire through your department or the financial aid office.

Thanks guys. I actually just got accepted off the wait list by the family institute through the graduate school for my master program. They have to do a background check on me first before I can matriculate so I guess I will just have to wait :D

Edited by HKsai

HkSai, did you apply to northwestern under regular or early decision? When did you hear from them.? I applied for the counseling program under regular decision but havent heard anything yet! :(

The counseling program from the family institute? I will tell you what happened to me even technically we applied to different programs. For my program, they are accepting students all the way till June. They are accepting like 5 students per week and wait for them to reply and then accepting another 5. I had my interview on feb 25th and then I emailed them on mar 5 or so saying that I will need a decision by mar 15. My program director called me saying that I'm second on the waitlist. I can either wait (might have to wait all the way till August) for a spot or I can be in the program for next year. I told them I will wait till apt 15th, if there's no spot I will just go to another school. They called me on April 15 and told me I got into the program. On that very same day, another person I know got wait listed like I did before.

Ps: the mft program does not have early decision. All materials were due dec 31.

Edited by HKsai

Hi!! 

I´m also going to NU in the fall, to the plant biology and conservation program.
I will be moving from Chile to Evanston so I´m pretty sure that I will be freezing during the winter :)   but I´m so excited!!

I grew up in Asia so my comfortable temperature is 30C...I cant even imagine seeing snow on the ground every winter! I think I will be fine with the weather outside as long as I can keep my apartment cosy and see some sun every now and then.

I grew up in Asia so my comfortable temperature is 30C...I cant even imagine seeing snow on the ground every winter! I think I will be fine with the weather outside as long as I can keep my apartment cosy and see some sun every now and then.

I lived in HK for 10 years, then in Seattle (rainy city) for 8 years. After Seattle, I lived in upstate New York (Rochester the snowy city) for 4 years. All I can say is you will adapt :P I will probably spend another 2 years in this cold and snowy city LOL

Hey guys, current NU student here (religious studies.) This last winter was the coldest winter on record since they started keeping records in the mid-19th century (seriously.) I'm from southern California, so it was definitely brutal--but I survived! The winters aren't usually that bad. We get a few days of heavy snow scattered throughout the winter, a few days of zero degree temperatures (F), but it most stays between 20 and 30F.

If any of you have general questions about housing, etc. feel free to PM me.

Hey guys, i have decided to join Northwestern by this Fall (for MS Biomedical). I am from India and i have never even been in place where the temperature is less than 10C! So I am really excited towards Chicago and i am not sure how i am gonna survive the cold..

Spent last 2 years in Northwestern. Extremely awful weather in the past winter. DO buy big coats and snow boots (or you can buy them here, but they will be expensive). For people spending their past years in the tropical area, summer in Chicago may seem fall or even winter to you guys. BUT one good thing: lakeshore view is AWESOME!

I want to move in an appartment somewhere around southern parts of Evanston or northern neighbourhoods of Chicago, and preferable with a roommate. Do you know any good web sites that Northwestern students find house mates or share info on housing options? 

Hi gretagarbo,

I went to NU for my undergrad and am going back for my masters. To answer your question: there aren't any sites like that for northwestern students.

Your best bet is just to google "apartments in Evanston" and see where they come up on a map or use a site like zillow. You can try craigslist if you want a roommate, but be careful. I would also definitely recommend staying away from Rogers Park, and if you live in Evanston DO NOT go anywhere west of "Dodge" street. My uncle is an Evanston cop and that is a VERY bad area. PM me if you need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Evanston/Chicago from Germany in the fall (PhD in Screen Cultures). 
Do any of you have tips where I could look for temporary housing in late August/early September? I'm hesitant to sign a lease while I'm still in Germany, so I hope to find a place to stay for the first few days/weeks of my stay and then go apartment hunting on site. I check Craigslist regularly but only very few sublets are listed that far in advance. Thanks!

Looking forward to meeting fellow grad "freshmen" in a couple of months!

• 2 years later...

Hi Breva! 

Congratulations on your acceptance to the PhD Screen Cultures program! I am currently in the process of applying to the same. Could you tell me how competitive the program really is? And ways I can strengthen my application? This would be of such immense help. 

Thank You and Hope you found a good place to live in!