PhD Critical Theory

Duke Literature, Stanford Modern Thought and Literature, Minnesota Comparative Studies, Berkeley Rhetoric (or an English degree with a designated emphasis in Critical Theory). I'm really interested in postcolonial theory (particularly diaspora / migration / theories of belonging) as well. :)

All PhDs in English will include theory, but whether it will expand beyond literary theory is the difference (from my understanding). For instance, you might not read Foucault or Zizek or Galtung, but you'll read Armstrong or Gubar or some other people.

continental philosophy programs

they also limit your employability to the handful of universities and colleges whose philosophy departments are amenable to continental philosophy. philosophers are a lot cliquier than philologists (largely why the philosophy programs are harder to get into), and continental philosophy, at least on this side of the atlantic, is SO not in vogue.

My program was pretty much: find your own outside sources, which was nice because we all learned how to figure out which sources were good and which weren't. But we never read heavy on critical theory, but then again, this was just my BA program, since I haven't done a MA yet. However, I've personally read a bunch because I like critical theory. 

Edited by Horb

they also limit your employability to the handful of universities and colleges whose philosophy departments are amenable to continental philosophy. philosophers are a lot cliquier than philologists (largely why the philosophy programs are harder to get into), and continental philosophy, at least on this side of the atlantic, is SO not in vogue.

Very, very true. Sadly. =(

You might want to consider the University of Pittsburgh. Their English literature PhD program is literally entitled "PhD in Critical and Cultural Studies." Also, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory that is extremely active and rigorous and offers a graduate certificate. I was accepted to both programs this round (I chose Pitt), so while I can't answer questions from a current student's perspective, I do have some information to offer about them if you're curious. Incidentally, they're also both well-funded.