Strange answers. What to think?

Felixjuggler

Ok let's share this strange answer from the Phd program (at least it seems strange to me).

I asked if the program reached a decision about my application after 5 (Five!) months of waiting since submitting the application in november. After some days I got a reply saying "Our apologies for the long wait. Your email was forwarded to the program director. He will be in contact with you shortly".

Now, I find it strange because I expect admission offices to send standard rejection to those denied. I don't know what to think, If it is a good sign or just a pre-rejection. But if it is a rejection, why would the program director bother personally with my email?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. And it is not so good with a speech to give with my current mentor at a partner meeting abroad next week for a collaborative research project with people from at least 5 other universities. Need to focus!

I don't know what program you are applying to, but sometimes programs that are highly competitive (such as, say, 10 spots with 350 applications/year) will not send out rejection letters, and some of them even say so on their applications websites. I wouldn't read too much into this email.

I applied to a school in December, and emailed them this week (March 19th) asking for an update as I have another offer with a deadline. The graduate admissions office said the same thing and forwarded my request to the director of the department. He replied the next day telling me I am currently on the waiting list and will hopefully receive an offer next week. But I'm assuming that depends on if enough people reject their first round of offers.

I'm not saying you can expect the same thing, but if you haven't been rejected you're probably on the waiting list. I'm starting to realize being on the waiting list is pretty standard in the application process and you shouldn't interpret it negatively. It just means you weren't in the top 10% of their candidates, and those top 10% get first dibs on schools. Once those people make up their minds, more candidates can be sent offers and the cycle continues.

Good luck!

I did the same... contacted the director whom the admissions office said was working on acceptance letters this week. His response was basically apologizing for the wait, stating he was very busy and would have to send me a full response when he had time. My assumption is that this basically means hold on a few days and you'll get your (rejection) letter. I think the reason you are not just given an answer on the spot is because no one really knows what the decision is except those that make the decision.  I don't think the response is good or bad, just a matter of protocol. Hang tight until you hear back. Hopefully it's great news.

But what does the silence after you are accepted and given admit letter, really mean?? does it imply that admission has been revoked? if so shouldn't they inform us that it is revoked? 

But what does the silence after you are accepted and given admit letter, really mean?? does it imply that admission has been revoked? if so shouldn't they inform us that it is revoked? 

Schools don't often revoke acceptances, except in a few extreme cases (usually if a student acts inappropriately during a visit). And yes they would absolutely contact someone if they chose to revoke an admit. Silence just means they are dealing with other things! You'll hear more news all in good time. 

I think everyone just needs to calm down.  Grad school waiting is nerve-wracking but, I think some of you are over analyzing or reading into things far too deeply.  "Our apologies for the long wait. Your email was forwarded to the program director. He will be in contact with you shortly," simply means just that.  Hang tight, you'll have your answer soon.  And to the above poster, just because they went silent after sending out an acceptance does not mean they have revoked you.  They don't have the time, energy, or resources to continually hound or keep in touch instantly with the students they accept/reject/waitlist.