UCSD Fall 2014

cbttcher

Yayyy! It really is. I've only been to New England up until now so I'm really excited. Probably shortly before the quarter starts depending on when I get housing and stuff. When I went to get my MA in the US, I got there two weeks earlier which was the biggest mistake I made there I think. I was alone and didn't know anyone so I was pretty homesick and I'm not going to do that again. :D

I'm 85% sure I'll be attending UCSD. I had a scheduled phone call with a professor just now, expecting to ask general questions about the program, but it ended up as an invitation to join his research group.

Sweet. Super sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, orientation! Forgot about that. I haven't received any emails from UCSD so far! Perhaps they're waiting for the finalized list of students before sending us emails?

Yup! - Computer Music PhD - getting the heck outta michigan winter... Probably gona check out san diego in May and scope out places to live - I've had some recommendations (north/south park and some of the suburb towns north of UCSD) but am curios as to how much earlier people tend to sort out accommodation there. I know here in Ann Arbor people do it a year in advance as its a college town...

• 2 weeks later...

Still no email from my department. Has anyone received information on orientation, when to sign up for classes, etc?

I decided to be proactive and ask my department graduate affairs liaison. Here's the reply:

The University and this department will be having Graduate Orientation the week of September 15th, please prepare to move in by this time.  You will be receiving a notification to sign-up for OGS's orientation at the beginning of August.

The schedule of orientation events is still tentative and will be announced during the summer.  Attached is the list to UCSD Academic Calendars, which includes the Academic and Administrative Calendar and Enrollment and Registration Calendar. 

I dunno how graduate student enrollment works, but from what I gathered fro all of my visit days, it's pretty much we get whatever we want. There isn't the same struggle to get classes as there was in undergrad. Then again, I lucked out in undergrad and never struggled with the enrollment thing. But anyway, I don't think we should worry so much about WHEN to enroll--we got all the time in the world for that. The idea is that we finish all our required courses ASAP, so I think instructors do whatever they can to make that happen. I think we should be more worried about WHAT to take.

• 1 month later...

Hey all! I'm moving to San Diego in less than two weeks. I'm so excited! I start the competitive edge program on June 30th, I can't wait.

How is everyone preparing themselves for the move and starting in the fall and everything else?

Hey all! I'm moving to San Diego in less than two weeks. I'm so excited! I start the competitive edge program on June 30th, I can't wait.

How is everyone preparing themselves for the move and starting in the fall and everything else?

Unfortunately my SO cannot move to SD until January 2015 - I am currently looking for a room from August - December. I've contacted ~ 10 craigslist ads so far, but everyone is looking for a tenant now/July.

Any tips or leads from people would be appreciative!

Unfortunately my SO cannot move to SD until January 2015 - I am currently looking for a room from August - December. I've contacted ~ 10 craigslist ads so far, but everyone is looking for a tenant now/July.

Any tips or leads from people would be appreciative!

Have you contacted other grad students and see if you could room with them for a semester?

Have you contacted other grad students and see if you could room with them for a semester?

I'm not sure how to contact other grad students. I haven't been invited to any grad student group :\

I'm not sure how to contact other grad students. I haven't been invited to any grad student group :\

Well, you could contact the program administrator or graduate coordinate from your deparment and ask them if they could get you in touch with other grad students.

This is the link for subleasing apartments at UCSD, it might help, too: https://hdh.ucsd.edu/archsublease/

Well, you could contact the program administrator or graduate coordinate from your deparment and ask them if they could get you in touch with other grad students.

This is the link for subleasing apartments at UCSD, it might help, too: https://hdh.ucsd.edu/archsublease/

Graduate Coordinator is on vacation until June 30th, but the link was helpful! I just filled out my application. Hoping to hear back soon :)

• 1 month later...

Moving to SD tomorrow! Found a lovely room in a house that is 0.5 miles away from the intersection of La Jolla Pkway and Torrey Pines. Has anyone else received the email for Graduate Student Orientation? Also... if you want to submit a photo for your student ID card, don't forget the deadline is August 1st :)