Montclair State University

Does anyone know how big the pool was this year (or in past years) for Montclair?  Or at least the acceptance rate statistics?  I can't seem to find anything online... 

Does anyone know how big the pool was this year (or in past years) for Montclair?  Or at least the acceptance rate statistics?  I can't seem to find anything online... 

this is what i found on the asha site http://www.asha.org/edfind/details.aspx?id=1705

74 admissions offers out of 456 applicants?

Mine just changed this morning at 7:22am with a decision letter coming in the mail. While I am trying to remain optimistic, it seems that they already notified a number of people of acceptances via email, followed by a letter. It's getting difficult to remain hopeful. 

Happy to see all the buzz about Montclair's program, congrats to everyone! I'm in my second semester at Montclair and this was the exact thing that I was wondering about last year. It's a cohort-based program, so even with a speech background it'll still take the 2.5 years. This means you'll get 3 on-site clinic semesters as well as two semesters of off-site externships. If you have any questions let me know =)

Random question...I will be a commuter this fall and was wondering whether all your classes are in the speech building or on actual campus?

All of the classes are in the speech building fortunately! The speech building is about 2 miles from the main campus and we have free parking. You just swipe your card at the gate and you walk in...it's great :)

I commute about 60 miles to school. It seems like most people live within 30 minutes but there are a few other crazy people like me who commute long distances. I get on exit 91 on the parkway and get off at exit 151 and you're there. It's not a bad commute when I have afternoon classes but when I have class at 8:30 or 9, traffic can be hell. On those days, I leave almost 2 hours early to make sure I get there on time. Some days the traffic's not too bad, and other days it's terrible. You just never know!

Edited by BlarneyStone87

All of the classes are in the speech building fortunately! The speech building is about 2 miles from the main campus and we have free parking. You just swipe your card at the gate and you walk in...it's great :)

I commute about 60 miles to school. It seems like most people live within 30 minutes but there are a few other crazy people like me who commute long distances. I get on exit 91 on the parkway and get off at exit 151 and you're there. It's not a bad commute when I have afternoon classes but when I have class at 8:30 or 9, traffic can be hell. On those days, I leave almost 2 hours early to make sure I get there on time. Some days the traffic's not too bad, and other days it's terrible. You just never know!

Ahh you are awesome!!! Thank you. Free parking makes me happy haha.

I will be commuting about 40 miles. Props to you. I've never traveled that far for school so it'll definitely be a new experience for me.

Thank you thank you for the info :)

Ahh you are awesome!!! Thank you. Free parking makes me happy haha.

I will be commuting about 40 miles. Props to you. I've never traveled that far for school so it'll definitely be a new experience for me.

Thank you thank you for the info :)

No problem! :) If you have any other questions, just let me know :)

A question for current students (or even prospective students, if you happen to know).. How do the graduate assistantships work?  What do you do, who do you work with, how does the application process work, etc?  Any info is appreciated info :) thank you!

As far as I know, all you do is check the box that you are interested in a GA position. They will contact people they are interested in and conduct interviews in the summer. I didn't get an interview, but from the few people I know who went through the interview process, they said it was very daunting and then they didn't get it and were bummed. I do know a few people who did get the positions. They bring you in a room with 6 or more faculty members who each need a GA for their area of research interest (ex. speech science research, language assessment research, clinic helper, etc). They ask you questions and then they choose approximately 6 GA spots :)

A question for current students (or even prospective students, if you happen to know).. How do the graduate assistantships work?  What do you do, who do you work with, how does the application process work, etc?  Any info is appreciated info :) thank you!

As far as I know, all you do is check the box that you are interested in a GA position. They will contact people they are interested in and conduct interviews in the summer. I didn't get an interview, but from the few people I know who went through the interview process, they said it was very daunting and then they didn't get it and were bummed. I do know a few people who did get the positions. They bring you in a room with 6 or more faculty members who each need a GA for their area of research interest (ex. speech science research, language assessment research, clinic helper, etc). They ask you questions and then they choose approximately 6 GA spots :)

I was contacted for an interview via e-mail yesterday. Further details will be e-mailed to me upon confirmation of my attendance. Thank you for this information, @BlarneyStone87!

Thanks! I wonder how the specifics of assisting in research works, I guess they will let us know when more details are sent out.

• 3 weeks later...