I got this questionable email from NYU Poly...

ahimsa000

Hey everyone,

So I've been checking my email every 6 minutes or so (sad, I know), and I got one that says "Admit Packet-Join NYU Poly for a Special Reception in California." I'm in California, and the reception is only about an hour away from where I live. Anyways, does this mean I was accepted and they are just late in sending out their acceptance letter? That would be awesome! Since my stats are not the best in the world, any acceptance is really amazing for me! Let me know what you guys think?

It's possible that this is an indication you've been accepted, but unlikely.

Admittedly I received an invitation to an open house for accepted students at my top choice university before actually being told I was accepted, but the invite also told me to expect good news soon (I got my acceptance letter and financial aid offer a week later, right after I got home from the open house). Since your email didn't say anything like that, I think it's unlikely that it means anything more than what it says at face value.

I will also add that NYU poly was one of the schools that emailed me constantly after I took the gre (I didn't apply there), including with invitations to various events, so it's possible the email you got is similar.

It's still possible you'll be accepted, though! I got two acceptances very late in the season.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I guess I'm just hopeful with my bad stats that someone would accept me. I applied to Masters' programs, so I have a bit of time before I should start freaking out about not having any acceptances. :) Thanks again! 

Thanks MastersHoping :) I appreciate all the encouragement. I called this morning, and they said decisions will be sent out soon...lol. Hate that answer. I don't know what to believe right now! Here's the link to the Admitted Students Events page, with the California event on the bottom. Does it seem promising? 

Thanks! 

http://engineering.nyu.edu/admissions/graduate/admitted/events

It says you need a student id, which is listed in your acceptance letter, in order to rsvp - that definitely seems promising. Of course, they could just be sending out the email to everyone, so it's hard to say for sure.... hopefully it's a good sign, though! Good luck!!!

Ok. Never mind. I was rejected :(

... wow. I can't believe they sent you all of that before an official decision had been made. That's absurd. I will probably discourage friends from applying there.