History Phd at UCSD vs. Phd at Princeton NES

OzzyOz

I got admission offers for PhD programs from Princeton NES, UCSD History, and Uni. of Washington JSIS without financial support. As a non-US citizen I am considering pursuing an academic track in the US after finishing the my PhD. What would your recommendations be? Which school does offer better opportunities? And do you think should I reapply next year?

Is it just Washington that isn't offering financial support or all three? Fit is the most important factor, but i wouldn't go to a program that didn't offer funding.

Princeton is the most prestigious of the three and has more money to throw around. But as i just said, the most important factor will be to go a place where you can do your best work with an advisor who can effectively mentor you as well as go to bat for you after earning the PhD.

I don't think anyone could really help you until you provide information on why you chose these three programs and what you want to do. What area if history are you interested in? Have you communicated with professors at any of these programs?

I didnt get any funding offer from any of them. I want to specialize on the late era Ottoman empire( hsitory, politics). All of them offer this opportunity. My intention is to stay in the US, teach and research at a nice university upon graduating. While princeton looks better, other universities have porfeesors who are better fits to my research interests. I communicated with professors.

Most PhD programs offer funding, even for non-US applicants. Is there any reason why you were denied funding from all three?

Knowing absolutely nothing about any of the programs, I'd lean towards Princeton for the aforementioned prestige and resources, but if other schools are stronger fits, then those might be better for you.

Finally, I'll reiterate what's been said before: Unless you have ample family money (i.e.: enough to pay for 6-8 years' worth of tuition, housing rent, and living expenses without a smidgen of debt and without dipping into your savings), you should stay away from unfunded PhD programs.

Edited by thedig13

If there's no clear reason, I'd wait another season and apply again. Use this gap year to address any weaknesses you may have in your application.

I stand by my previous statement: unless you have the kind of money/resources to cover 6-8 years' of tuition, housing, and living expenses without taking out a loan or decimating your savings account, you should never attend a PhD program.