fit vs prestige?

phage

So basically I have narrowed my choice down between 2 schools. One is very highly regarded for many things, including my field. The other is reasonably respected, not really known too many outside academia, but whatever. I think my research fit is better at Unknown, but honestly, i wasn't very impressed by the grad students there. One guy complained that the school didn't have many professors studying his field and he'd wish he'd known before he matriculated. Isn't this something you should figure out when applying to grad school, much less enrolling there??? A few other students admitted it was the only school they got an interview at. Several asked me if I would even go there, since I have "so many other great options." I feel like a dick for putting them down, but overall they seemed pretty dull and unambitious. I feel like I would be a big fish in a small pond (though I don't necessarily think that'd be an entirely negative thing).The program head REALLY wants me to go there but I'm just not convinced it's right for me... I really liked the professors and the city.

I really have no idea what I want to do after grad school and I feel like I'd have more opportunities (like networking, impressing wealthy foreigners with my school sweatshirt, etc) at Fancy School. Compared to the rest of the cohort, I think I'd b be somewhere right in the middle, talent-wise. There are definitely some professors there whose work I'm interested in and it's my current advisor's opinion that you should work with someone who will teach you to be a good scientist, not necessarily to work on your specific interest. But she also thinks it's who you work with, not where, that's important. Also, it's cold there :(

I kind of picture myself at Fancy School but that might be because I'm a pretentious douchebag. He;lp

Edited by phage

Okay, I don't know how it works in life sciences, but in my field, 1) your interests may change as you go through grad school, 2) while your advisor is important, your cohort, other professors, and the financial support the school can provide are equally important. and, in my field, the sweatshirt factor is paramount. i don't know what it would be like to be stuck in a lab i hate for 5 years (though the lab you like at no-name right now might turn out to be terrible for a multitude of reasons - who knows), but that you find other grad students to be inadequate is a red flag to me. if you're in an environment that doesn't intellectually stimulate you for whatever reason, you might get depressed or slack off.

ultimately, you don't know what the school is like until you matriculate there. i would go for Fancy School if i were you, because there are fewer intangibles - but those intangibles may be hugely detrimental. what are you willing to gamble on, in the end?

Thanks guys. Most people I talk to are neutral or tell me to go to Unknown because it's in a cool city. Though I didn't tell them about the lackluster students. The money is slightly higher at Unknown (they keep giving me more fellowships!) and the cost of living is lower, but I would be financially comfortable at Fancy School.

From what you've said, it really sounds like you have a lot of doubts about unknown school, and few concerning fancy school. In this case I'd go with my gut, which from what you've written seems to be leading you towards fancy school ;)

it's my current advisor's opinion that you should work with someone who will teach you to be a good scientist, not necessarily to work on your specific interest.

I have to concur with your advisor. Another thing to add: someone here can be a professor, or pretty much the students surrounding you :)