Fort Hays State University

For those of you accepted to FHSU, do you know much about the area and program? The people that I have spoken to are so nice. I just didn't know if anyone has been to the campus and met the department staff in person. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advanced and good luck!

I am visiting the school a week from tomorrow(April 7th).  I have only talked to Dr. Britten, but he is so nice!  I will let you know more about the campus, faculty and city after I visit next week!  I am currently on the wait list.  Congrats on getting in! :)

Oh that would be awesome! Thank you so much. I hope you get accepted off the wait list. I know how rough this process is. Are you going all the way out there from Cali? If so, that is a long way! Did you apply to the distance program at Idaho? I applied to Meridian and Pocatello. By the posts I have seen I don't think I got into the Meridian campus since I haven't heard anything. I am so blessed by 1 school, but I am ready to hear back from the others.

Yes, I am driving from Cali to Fort Hays.  Long drive but my wife and I have always wanted to do a cross country road trip!  This is our excuse!  I applied to Meridian and Pocatello as well and have seen that Meridian sent out acceptances already, so can only hope for a wait list there too I guess! :)  I hope Idaho sends out Pocatello acceptances tomorrow because it'll be April already.  I think it's awesome that you've stayed so dedicated and am happy your dedication has paid off after 3 years! :)  

It is a long drive! I am from Palm Springs, Ca and have lived in Arkansas for 5 years. My husband and I have done the drive to and from Cali many times. It's brutal but fun! I hate that it has taken so long for this door to open, but looking back it has been such a blessing. I prayed and prayed that if this was the right field for me a door would open. If not, I would go back to teaching. Thank God he opened a door because I really did not want to be back in the school system! Have a great trip and thank you again in advanced for the info on FHSU!

Acrain313 - my husband was accepted at FHSU. We have a friend in the area who has only positive things to say about the school, and says that the school is highly regarded in the region. In my husband's interview with Dr. Britten, he was told that the program often has organizations actively recruiting from them. With the medical center right there, the school district, and the abundance of SNFs in Kansas in general, I imagine that getting placements in your desired setting are pretty easy. 

Where in Arkansas are you? While we were excited by FHSU's program, my husband was accepted to UCA and I think he's leaning towards them simply because they offered funding with his acceptance.

Edited by caterpillar

Acrain313 - my husband was accepted at FHSU. We have a friend in the area who has only positive things to say about the school, and says that the school is highly regarded in the region. In my husband's interview with Dr. Britten, he was told that the program often has organizations actively recruiting from them. With the medical center right there, the school district, and the abundance of SNFs in Kansas in general, I imagine that getting placements in your desired setting are pretty easy. 

Where in Arkansas are you? While we were excited by FHSU's program, my husband was accepted to UCA and I think he's leaning towards them simply because they offered funding with his acceptance.

That's so exciting! I'm also leaning toward UCA. I haven't made my final decision yet, but the funding offer makes it nearly impossible to turn down! It's a little hard to beat in-state tuition + $2000 GA position. (Sorry- this has nothing to do with Fort Hayes!)

I did my post bac work at UCA and loved it!!! I was going to apply there this year, but my husband and I are ready to be out of arkansas. UCA has wonderful professors and they just got a new chair, Dr. Lance. She is really nice. I would highly recommend UCA! The school is in Conway, AR which is a nice area in Arkansas. There is a lot to do there and they have good grocery stores. I know that sounds weird but I was born and raised a Cali girl so moving here was major culture shock. I am on the west side and we don't have the options like Conway or North West Arkansas. UCA is a beautiful campus too! The only negative is the weather. Other than that, it is a great place to live and raise a family. The cost of living is cheap and the people are extremely nice. I hope this helps :) please let me know if you have any questions about the area or UCA!

Caterpillar- thank you for the great info about FHSU. That is very helpful! I'm still waiting on 4 schools but FH seems great. I was just hoping for a bigger city as it's very similar to the size of the one I'm in now. But hey I'll take what I can get!

That's so exciting! I'm also leaning toward UCA. I haven't made my final decision yet, but the funding offer makes it nearly impossible to turn down! It's a little hard to beat in-state tuition + $2000 GA position. (Sorry- this has nothing to do with Fort Hayes!)

Does the GA include in-state tuition? The email made it sound like only applicants from contiguous states would get in-state... Even so, $2000 off the out-of-state price makes the first year's tuition very affordable!

I did my post bac work at UCA and loved it!!! I was going to apply there this year, but my husband and I are ready to be out of arkansas. UCA has wonderful professors and they just got a new chair, Dr. Lance. She is really nice. I would highly recommend UCA! The school is in Conway, AR which is a nice area in Arkansas. There is a lot to do there and they have good grocery stores. I know that sounds weird but I was born and raised a Cali girl so moving here was major culture shock. I am on the west side and we don't have the options like Conway or North West Arkansas. UCA is a beautiful campus too! The only negative is the weather. Other than that, it is a great place to live and raise a family. The cost of living is cheap and the people are extremely nice. I hope this helps :) please let me know if you have any questions about the area or UCA!

Oh, thank you for the recommendation! Your comment about the grocery stores is funny to me because one of the first things we did was look up grocery store options in the area hahaha. I'll PM you some questions shortly!

Does the GA include in-state tuition? The email made it sound like only applicants from contiguous states would get in-state... Even so, $2000 off the out-of-state price makes the first year's tuition very affordable!

Reciprocity is only offered to students who live in states around Arkansas. However, on the website for financial aid, it states anybody can get in-state tuition if they have a full-time GA (20 hours a week) or if they live in university housing (which I will be even without a full time GA position). There are other things that can also quaify you for in-state tuition. I believe I'm understanding correctly :/ Here's the link. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding!

http://uca.edu/studentaccounts/uca-out-of-state-fee-waiver-information/

This is great! Thank you for sharing! :) It's so great to hear some positive feedback. I will be moving (fairly far) to attend UCA with no familly and friends, so I'm glad to hear it's a good program with structure and support!

Reciprocity is only offered to students who live in states around Arkansas. However, on the website for financial aid, it states anybody can get in-state tuition if they have a full-time GA (20 hours a week) or if they live in university housing (which I will be even without a full time GA position). There are other things that can also quaify you for in-state tuition. I believe I'm understanding correctly :/ Here's the link. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding!

http://uca.edu/studentaccounts/uca-out-of-state-fee-waiver-information/

Oh, okay! I read that as well but without more details on the GA, I wasn't clear whether it would be fulltime or more of a small scholarship to help with out-of-state costs. I guess we'll find out more after April 15th. :)

I don't think they offer many, if any, full-time GA positions in our program. I'm planning on living on campus, so it's an added bonus that I'll get in-state tuition as well as the $2000 GA position. :) They also said that more funding may be available after the 15 of April (if those who have larger GA positions decline their acceptance offer at UCA). There is basically a list of us, so if somebody with a better GA declines, everybody will move up to the next GA position available. These are still part time, just possibly offer more funding. This is my understanding, anyway.  :D It's a hard offer to turn down.