How to Ask for Funding?

ahlatsiawa

I got accepted at Syracuse for MS Aero a few weeks ago. However, I have not been offered any funding or TA/RA positions in the admission notification email. Someone I know was able to secure a 30% tuition-waiver just by sending an email to the grad office acting on which they reviewed his file again and offered a scholarship. I tried doing that too but got an email linking to the general Financial Aids web-page. Any ideas how I can ask again without sounding too needy or leech-y? This is my only admit as of now and I sure don't want it turning into a reject. I am an international student.

I have been in a similar situation in that I had to request (more) funding. It's very awkward. I prefaced the question by asking if there were any stipulations on outside jobs or scholarships. Then I said that, unfortunately, funding/cost of living was a concern or factor in my attendance. I was offered a teaching assistantship. I also recommend contacting the Financial Aid office and asking about work study for international grad students, etc. Good luck!

I think that you can, but consider that responses may vary. I had one situation where I had no funding (my second time applying, for an M.A. program) and got a very late, not very helpful answer. In other cases, the graduate director was very helpful.