Is this normal?

I have been accepted to an awesome PhD program. I have accepted their offer. It appears to me...a match made in heaven.

Since I have accepted their offer I am constantly at a worry that I will mess something up and they will rescind their offer.

Is this possible? Is there anything I could do to blow this. I know this probably sounds like an entirely irrational fear.

Has anyone ever heard of a school rescinding their offer of admissions?

I have been accepted to an awesome PhD program. I have accepted their offer. It appears to me...a match made in heaven.

Since I have accepted their offer I am constantly at a worry that I will mess something up and they will rescind their offer.

Is this possible? Is there anything I could do to blow this. I know this probably sounds like an entirely irrational fear.

Has anyone ever heard of a school rescinding their offer of admissions?

It is fairly normal - it just means your ego does not yet own you. It's a good thing.

Schools do not generally rescind offers of admission unless there is fault or fraud on your part. If you fail to graduate from your current program, or if it turns out that you made significant-pause kind of errors in your application that they catch - then they will rescind their offer. It has happened occasionally that schools have sent out "accidental" acceptances that they then rescinded, but it has (to my knowledge) always been at the undergrad level where it is less of a personal decision and mistakes can slip through.

Remember that grad admissions is very individual and personal - make contact with your prospective advisor and tell him/her how exited you are to be coming. If there is any error, that person will know and will bring it up.

i think unless you make the news (in the infamous, not famous way), then you're fine as long as you don't get into a fraud situation like twocosmicfish mentioned above.

i also think grad school tends to draw smart, overly-reflective people who tend to be hard on themselves and that the application process doesn't help. i'd like to say, "lighten up!" but then I'd be a hypocrite ; ) but seriously, make an effort to envision your new life at grad school going great just before you fall asleep each night. and maybe get a massage!

Thanks everybody. That makes me feel a hundred times better.

I think I've let the stress of the whole process get to me. And then moving across the country and starting school all over again.

I graduated last year and I am excited about going back to school and all that lies ahead.

I wish you all the best.

• 1 year later...

i am in a similar situation, having gotten into a PhD program of my choice. But I am currently struggling with a class my last semester. senioritis has set in badly and at a bad time :( If i do fail the class, is that an automatic rescind? Or can I defer my admission for a semester to retake (and probably ace) the class that I failed?

btw, I am trying really hard to pass the class. It is just very difficult material and I deeply regret having signed up for such a class my last semester.