Wrapping up Americorps service to start school

gwualum4mpp

I feel there is much I can say, good and bad, about Americorps (specifically the VISTA program, which I am currently in).

Lately, my thoughts have leaned toward the bad. My term of service ends three days after a Math refresher course begins for my grad program, yet I have to complete my term exactly on time in order to receive the Segal ed award. I worked it out with my office for the most part, but it was still messy: my program coordinator had different thoughts of how my vacation time is supposed to be allotted than my boss. Really, neither of them know because I'm their first vista and the organization lacks the cohesiveness to clearly define the parameters of my role.

I thought I would share this here for other upcoming grad students and current Americorps/TFA volunteers to share their thoughts and vent their frustrations. I know this helped pass the time for me...!

I am a second year Americorps member. My first year was horrendous and stressful (my supervisor was the devil and I worked with children who had special needs/were in state custody for neglect and abuse, so it was heartbreaking at times. Loved the kids, though). This year has been better,but boring. I've pretty much been treated like a second-rate intern, which is whatever cus it gave me time to work on my grad applications. It has definitely been frustrating as I had hoped for a fulfilling term, but at this point I am over it and ready to move on and out of my current city come August. I've told my program director, but haven't gotten around to telling my actual placement. I'm kinda worried that leaving early (classes start two weeks before my term of service ends) will effect my eligibility concerning the ed award. Any tips?

**Edited for typos

Edited by busybev

First if there is anyone on the thread that could give BUSYBEV a +1 that would be great, I accidentally gave him/her a -1 when I meant to do a +1, And it won't let me reset :( Stupid Ipad!

I am a second year Americorps member. My first year was horrendous and stressful (my supervisor was the devil and I worked with children who had special needs/were in state custody for neglect and abuse, so it was heartbreaking at times. Loved the kids, though). This year has been better,but boring. I've pretty much been treated like a second-rate intern, which is whatever cus it gave me time to work on my grad applications. It has definitely been frustrating as I had hoped for a fulfilling term, but at this point I am over it and ready to move on and out of my current city come August. I've told my program director, but haven't gotten around to telling my actual placement. I'm kinda worried that leaving early (classes start two weeks before my term of service ends) will effect my eligibility concerning the ed award. Any tips?

**Edited for typos

Hi there busybev, I bolded the text of yours that I felt applied to my situation, but pretty much all of it resonates with me! If I was looking at this as my actual profession and not a professional (provisionary) experiment, I would have quit months ago. 

I spoke to our director about the conflicting dates between class and my term of service. In essence, I have to finish my term of service by the final date, or else I will be seen as terminating early and become ineligible for the award. To get around this, there are 2 steps we will take: 1) I will use the rest of my vacation and sick leave as time to prepare for school and 2) for the rest of the time I may need, I will technically "work remotely." In my case I will probably draft a closing report prior to leaving, but then send it in pieces to my boss after I leave (paper trail). This last idea was a suggestion of my director. I think my boss would be ok with that too. 

You'd think VISTA and Americorps would have more supports in place for future graduate students right? at least for the fall term? It is so discouraging that my start date for school gets in the way of the scholarship, when school is precisely what it's for. Gah.  

First if there is anyone on the thread that could give BUSYBEV a +1 that would be great, I accidentally gave him/her a -1 when I meant to do a +1, And it won't let me reset :( Stupid Ipad!

Hi there busybev, I bolded the text of yours that I felt applied to my situation, but pretty much all of it resonates with me! If I was looking at this as my actual profession and not a professional (provisionary) experiment, I would have quit months ago. 

I spoke to our director about the conflicting dates between class and my term of service. In essence, I have to finish my term of service by the final date, or else I will be seen as terminating early and become ineligible for the award. To get around this, there are 2 steps we will take: 1) I will use the rest of my vacation and sick leave as time to prepare for school and 2) for the rest of the time I may need, I will technically "work remotely." In my case I will probably draft a closing report prior to leaving, but then send it in pieces to my boss after I leave (paper trail). This last idea was a suggestion of my director. I think my boss would be ok with that too. 

You'd think VISTA and Americorps would have more supports in place for future graduate students right? at least for the fall term? It is so discouraging that my start date for school gets in the way of the scholarship, when school is precisely what it's for. Gah.  

I'm doing a different program than VISTA (hesitant to put the program name out just in case someone from the corporate office stumbles upon this post) but I'll definitely need to arrange something similar. I've used all of my personal days at this point (boyfriend is out of the state for grad school so I ran out of them pretty quickly), but working remotely may be an option. I was originally planning on finishing up my hours two weeks early and leaving but not exiting (I have really good relationships with the program manager and program director) but I'll have to bring that up the next time we meet. And I wish! My program start date was originally in October (program would have ended in July) but was moved up a month and that's what messed me up. Oh well. Just hoping for the best at this point...

**Edited: Stupid typos!

Edited by busybev

I'm doing a different program than VISTA (hesitant to put the program name out just in case someone from the corporate office stumbles upon this post) but I'll definitely need to arrange something similar. 

Oh shoot. Totally slipped my mind to be candid but with caution...I guess I can't turn back :( To be fair, I do not regret signing up for the program! As I said I find both good and bad in it. 

Also that is a good point concerning the hours, my program does not require volunteers to fulfill a set amount of hours so that is a difference. I hope for the best for the both of us as well! 

• 1 month later...

I am just about finished with my City Year Los Angeles service year. I've loved every minute of it, despite the frustrations, lots of crying, and disappointments. The kids are amazing. :]

Just curious, why did you all choose AmeriCorps over the Peace Corps? 

Hi Gnome, my interests swing more toward domestic policy, so Americorps just aligned better with my professional trajectory. I had spent the prior 2 years researching education policies and knew I was going for an MPP, so I wanted to use that 1 extra year to work directly in schools and gain credibility.

I had considered peace corps before going down that route...but based on my lessons from studying abroad in central america, I felt Peace Corps would be too destabilizing for me and I wasn't ready to make that 2 year commitment. In short, it's been about where I am mentally and professionally.