Grad school in different state than your job?

I am wondering what the process is in terms of going to graduate school in one state and practicing as an SLP in a different state. For example, if I went to grad school in Florida and get my first job in New York, what is the process I have to go through to get my license as an SLP now in New York?

Is there an additional test? A fee? Any info would be helpful! THANK YOU!

I'm not sure (because I'm not in SLP) but for things like social work or psychology it gets pretty tricky.

Have you contacted the NY licensing board? 

Good luck!!!

I think normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but I've heard New York has really funky requirements.  Unfortunately, I'm not from NY so I'm not 100% sure what those requirements are.  I think there's something called a TSSLD involved...

Edited to add:

last year has a lot of info - it might help you!  Also, here's NY's SLP requirements.

Edited by sayjo

I am wondering what the process is in terms of going to graduate school in one state and practicing as an SLP in a different state. For example, if I went to grad school in Florida and get my first job in New York, what is the process I have to go through to get my license as an SLP now in New York?

Is there an additional test? A fee? Any info would be helpful! THANK YOU!

From what my professor told me, according to the state your grad school is in, they will set you up for process of certification in that state.  If you plan on attending school in Florida, it is recommended that you get you CCC in Florida so that it will be easier to apply for licensing in NY.  NY is considered one of the stricter states when it comes to getting certified.  Without having your CCC, you might need to take extra tests/ classes to prove you fulfill the NY requirements.  My professor told me it took her 3 months to get certified in NY while having a Pennsylvania license.  One tip is to make sure you keep all your transcripts and copies of your paperwork because when applying for a license in NY, it probably will require transcripts dating back to your undergrad.  Hopefully this help!!! Good luck with everything!

Does anyone know any information about getting your CCCs in NY and then moving to California? It's something I'm thinking about. I know NY is very strict, but I heard California was also pretty strict. Do they have reciprocity?

California's licensing requirements: http://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/CA/licensure/

From the website -

Reciprocity:

Holders of the ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) satisfy the requirements for licensure. Persons licensed in other states who have worked for one year but who do not possess the ASHA CCC are exempt from the required professional experience requirement however must provide proof of education, clinical practicum, and passage of national exam.

I follow SLP live journal and this question is brought up A LOT! Especially in regards to getting your license/certification for NY. From what I've seen on there, it sounds like a huge headache. From what I understand, it's fine to attend a school in a different state, graduate, then go back to your home state. Only hurdle would be you need to look at your specific state's requirement for license/certification. Each state is different on what they want, deadlines, etc... While you're still in NY, I would definitely meet up with a professor and ask them if they can give you any other advice on how they got their license. Surely an SLP you know went out of state and came back. I'm attending grad school at the school I already attend for undergrad and I've only found 1 that I know for sure stayed in state. Hope this helps!