Indiana University

kechemukwa

Hey kechemukwa, I'll be visiting Bloomington at the end of the month.  I'm committed to Indiana for Hispanic Linguistics, but may be deferring for a year if awarded a Fulbright assistantship.  How about you?  

Small world.

@kechemukwa - Saw your name pop up yesterday on the board I most frequently check.  Sorry to see you didn't get the Fulbright, but it looks like you've got a pretty good setup for now anyway.  Where in Germany are you?  

@RicardoBello - Are you living in Bogotá now?  I applied for a Fulbright English teaching assistantship in Colombia, which is where I'll be next year if I'm accepted.

Edited by raymondnorth

I'm going! MM Early Music Vocal Performance. I'm coming from University of Chicago. Have any of you started looking at apartments yet? There seems to be a huge price range...

Hannah M

UChicago '13

@raymondnorth I'm in Jena right now. It's a pretty nice set-up. I'm looking forward to going back to school next year though.

@hannah3 I haven't started looking at apartments yet. I figured a year and a half was a bit too far in advance...

@kechemukwa   As a warning, I called around, and almost all the 1bds are gone. Apparently Bloomington students are super proactive about apartment getting....>.> But you have a whole 'nother year ^_^

Looking at that oncourse/onestart thing with the "looking for housing" section so many of them still are for this summer or are posts from undergrads. I wish I wasn't so far away so I could just visit ans find somewhere in person...

I'm a first year graduate student at IU and I'm moving out of my 1 bedroom apartment next year. I don't think the landlord has found someone for next year yet...just throwing that out b/c I saw someone posted they were having trouble finding a place!

Hey all, I was just in Bloomington this past Sunday through yesterday, and it was absolutely gorgeous weather for a first visit.  I also received notice Monday evening that I was not awarded the Fulbright grant I was waiting for, so I am now officially and eagerly enrolled at IU for this Fall.  

@RicardoBello - We will have to meet up sometime in Bloomington - if I can't go to Colombia, then I'll know at least one Colombian in Indiana.

@guinevere29 - Thanks for the heads up!  I sent you a PM because I am currently (as of about 36 hours ago) looking frantically for 1br places.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! 

I accepted the offer of admission for IU for this coming fall. I still am not 100% I will be attending this upcoming year, though, as I am trying to secure funding. It's nice to meet you all. I do hope that I will be able to find an apartment, though….

My program is Russian and East European Studies. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finding a place to live in Bloomington can be a challenge. Nearly all the leases run August-August, and the prime time for apartment hunting starts in February or March. After you move into a place, many landlords will ask you to decide whether you will re-sign for another year by January. For grad-student-friendly housing, make sure you check out the Graduate and Professional Student Organization Housing Resources. Specifically, I recommend looking at the housing board. There is a pretty diverse array of landlords represented there, everything from the big property management companies to the small-time landlords with only a few properties. My former landlord Maria Mastalerz has an ad up right now (416 E 2nd St), and I totally recommend her. The building is well-maintained and has (free!) on-site laundry and off-street parking. It's within walking distance of campus too. I think this board might be the only place she advertises, which explains why her tenants are mostly graduate/law students and why the building is so quiet. You could also go the route of renting a two-bedroom and then using the GPSO board and/or Craigslist to find a roommate. I did this when I first moved to Bloomington, and ending up choosing a roommate from several respondents. It worked out pretty well.

Edited by AwkwardPants

• 1 month later...

So, last week I visited Bloomington and was super impressed by the campus (it's gorgeous) and the current grad students, not to mention how awesome my soon-to-be advisor is. I was surprised to see that the grad students in my lab all live in houses, either alone or with their significant other. It's a super affordable town. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to moving out there next year.

• 3 months later...

I am considering applying for Indiana University Bloomington Online Data Science M.S. program. What do you think? Is it worth it ? How good of a school is this ? I have done research on the school but the whole online part makes me concerned.