Can't believe I was accepted! No, really, I can't believe it...

psyched_outt

Hi everyone,

So this year I was accepted into Neuroscience PhD. This is my first time applying, and I've taken two years off where I've been working completely out of research (in sales). 

My school has been calling me waiting for my decision. They just offered me a little bit more money, which shocked me. I feel like a subpar student who has somehow "sold" a PhD committee on the idea that I am worthy of being in one of these programs. Even though I've been talking about pursuing the PhD for years now that it is decision time I've almost talked myself out of it completely.

Has anyone else had feelings like this?

Edited by psyched_outt

I'm pursuing an English Ph.D., and my professors all tell me this is COMPLETELY normal; it's called "imposter syndrome," and a good chunk of students feel this way. Because we can put a name on it, it makes me feel a lot better, like maybe they picked me AND YOU!!!! for a reason and everyone feels unworthy to some extent! Be proud of getting in and realize how normal these feelings are, as difficult as they are to deal with for both of us :)

I totally know these feelings, you are not alone! I got into a top-ranked program in my field and still can't believe they want ME, out of all the 500 people who applied. I keep expecting to wake up to an email from them telling me it was all a lie ;)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use