NYU or Northwestern?! (please help :/)

HKsai

I applied to master programs in mental health counseling (MHC) or marriage and family therapy (MFT). I got accepted to NYU for Mental Health Counseling, MA with a 40% tution scholarship. I just got a call today from Northwestern and they told me I'm second alternate on their waitlist for MFT, MS. I will have to tell them by tomorrow if I want to commit to their special alternate spot. What they mean by that is that I will have to drop other acceptances and commit to their program. I might have to wait all the way till August before I can hear back. They said there's a big chance, but I also need to drop other acceptances because if I don't get in this year, they will guarantee me a spot for next fall.

For both MFT and MHC licensure I will have to work under a licensed therapist/counselor for 2 years before I can apply. So pretty much I will have to stay another 2 years after my master program.

Northwestern

Pros:

• MS in Marriage and Family Therapy, a more scientific approach to counseling which I like. (Biopsychosocial model, interpersonal approach)
  • Slightly smaller program
  • Reputation of Northwestern plus number 1 in Marriage and Family Therapy
  • 100% employment rate
  • Visited the school, and I'm pretty neutral about the program (Have not visited NYU)
  • Cheaper rent

Cons:

• Mostly no financial aid
  • Chicago weather, no intention for staying in Chicago for long
  • Far from family (in DC)
  • Might have to defer till next fall if there's no spot
  • More expensive program
  • Absolutely hate the color purple lol

NYU

Pros:

• Great internship opportunities
  • 40% tuition scholarship
  • Close to family
  • Like the urban city life
  • More reputable outside of US (for some reason?!)
  • Slight cheaper program

Cons:

• Slightly lower ranking than Northwestern (the education school is ranked 20th)
  • More traditional approach to counseling (Mental Health Counseling, intraperosnal approach)
  • Have no visited the program
  • More expensive rent
  • Again, absolutely hate the color purple lol
Edited by HKsai

The only way I'd say not to go with NYU is if the cost of living is so much higher that the reduced tuition isn't worth it. Somehow, I doubt this is the case.

The only way I'd say not to go with NYU is if the cost of living is so much higher that the reduced tuition isn't worth it. Somehow, I doubt this is the case.

NYU sounds like the better the deal. The 40% off is pretty clutch too!

Approximately 30k more in debt after the program if I go to Northwestern.

Shameless bump. I'm wondering if NW's reputation is worth the 30k debt? Tbh I went to a no name undergrad so I've always wanted to go to a prestigious school. I know it sounds really shallow but the program is also not bad. Most of my friends think that I go to a community college for undergraduate :/

I went to northwestern for undergrad and took a couple classes in the MFT program. First, the classes and professors are really great. I'm not interested in this area at all, but I still learned a lot and found them to be incredibly interesting.

Second, the rent in Chicago/Evanston is not necessarily cheaper than NYC. Yes you might get a nicer space for your money, but a studio in a good apartment building near campus is still going to cost at least $1200 per month. Just something to think about.

As someone who has gone to northwestern I do think the reputation is worth the money. I've seen how going there has REALLY helped in my own job/educational pursuits. But that's just my personal opinion.

I went to northwestern for undergrad and took a couple classes in the MFT program. First, the classes and professors are really great. I'm not interested in this area at all, but I still learned a lot and found them to be incredibly interesting.

Second, the rent in Chicago/Evanston is not necessarily cheaper than NYC. Yes you might get a nicer space for your money, but a studio in a good apartment building near campus is still going to cost at least $1200 per month. Just something to think about.

As someone who has gone to northwestern I do think the reputation is worth the money. I've seen how going there has REALLY helped in my own job/educational pursuits. But that's just my personal opinion.

I'm super torn now :/. Apartments in NYC are around 2300+ if I don't wanna live in a super sketchy place. Ahh! Thanks anyways :) I will probably hear back next week. If I don't get into the program after the first wave, I will probably gonna go to NYU since I can't risk not going to school this year.

I also attended NU undergrad and can also attest it's an amazing school experience and yes in downtown an apt can be 1,200 a mo but honestly as someone who also grew up in Evanstin if your willing to live in south evanston on like main or dempster (both walkable to campus plus there is a free NU bus stop that goes by there) instead of in like evanston place or another large complex near the campus you can pay less than that easily. I lived in really nice buildings and never paid more than 700 including utilities so there are good deals if your willing to look a little!

Also for leaving chicago I haven't felt tied or forced to be in the Midwest at all! NUs brand name can take you back to DC no problem if that is a concern for you.

$30k is a lot of money but I think the cost of living being lower probably helps the overall cost but obviously NYU is also a great school and it sounds like they can both serve you well.

I also attended NU undergrad and can also attest it's an amazing school experience and yes in downtown an apt can be 1,200 a mo but honestly as someone who also grew up in Evanstin if your willing to live in south evanston on like main or dempster (both walkable to campus plus there is a free NU bus stop that goes by there) instead of in like evanston place or another large complex near the campus you can pay less than that easily. I lived in really nice buildings and never paid more than 700 including utilities so there are good deals if your willing to look a little!

Also for leaving chicago I haven't felt tied or forced to be in the Midwest at all! NUs brand name can take you back to DC no problem if that is a concern for you.

$30k is a lot of money but I think the cost of living being lower probably helps the overall cost but obviously NYU is also a great school and it sounds like they can both serve you well.

Thanks so much for the information. I did an estimate of how much debt I will have after the two programs (factoring in everything), and I will end up 30k more in debt if I go to NU. That's due to NYU program being cheaper and obviously the scholarship. I really like the NU program but I just don't know if it is viable to pick it, especially counselors don't make a lot of $ :/

Do you guys think the NYU name carries any weight outside of the states at all? I was born in Seattle but grew up in HK, and I want to keep my option open just in case if I want to go back to HK for work.

Edited by HKsai