Phone plans

Hi!

I am thinking about phone plans for international students.

First of all, what surprises should I expect? For example, in my country all incoming calls/messages are free, whereas in US they are not. Are there any connection fees for each call?

Now, what operator and plan should I choose? I have no credit history, so I suppose contracts are out of question (I might ask some remote relative to co-sign if it is absolutely necessary, but I already have a phone (not locked), so if the rates difference is not extremely large I would rather not)

What I need is a little of everything: calls (~100-200 minutes, 300 tops), messages (~50-150) and internet (~20-50 MB). Free calls to several favorite numbers or the same operator phones would be good.

Most plans that look good with respect to calls/messages have ridiculous rates for the internet: either 1-2$/MB or offer it in big packages of 100MB/month.

Any advices?

Well.. I'm not expert but.. I have T-Mobile, and what I would suggest is buying a phone in-country (here in the US). For me I asked for their international plan- so my outgoing calls are something like .26 cents a minute and each text message is .15 cents. But if my mom or boyfriend, for instance, call ME- it just uses up my minutes.. and I don't get charged the .26cents ^^ so I have 2000 minutes (because I had a 1000 and I was talking to my boyfriend wayy too much). I also have free nights and weekends, so if they call me at night, or on the weekends- none of my minutes are used.

It was a work in progress because my first phone bill was 1500, my second 800, and so I'm slowly getting everything figured out. But the way I have it set up, is so that I never call them, and rarely text- to keep my phone bill at a minimum. And I do have internet on my phone here (I have a Blackberry so I think the per month is like 30 bucks or something along those lines). Hope that helps!

Thank you for your input

Forgot to say that I don't need international calls, I have skype :)

How does plan changing work in US? If I have a sim card from some operator and don't have 2yr contract, can I change to another his plan anytime I want (not in the middle of the billing period of course)? Are there any repercussions for changing to a cheaper plan or removing additional features, like unlimited messages? Is it possible to change between pay-as-you-go and monthly paid plans?

Btw, slightly related question. With unlimited US&Canada calls with skype for $3/month and a phone number for skypeless people to call you at for another $3/month why do people even bother with landlines at home?

How does plan changing work in US? If I have a sim card from some operator and don't have 2yr contract, can I change to another his plan anytime I want (not in the middle of the billing period of course)?

Again, I'm no expert- but, since you don't have a contract, changing plans shouldn't be a problem. If you have an unlocked Canadian phone then you should be able to switch sim cards. I've changed plans (within the same phone company) during billing periods- once I had such an outrageous international bill$$ & they immediately changed my plan to international and it automatically took off 300$ within that same billing month :D

Are there any repercussions for changing to a cheaper plan or removing additional features, like unlimited messages? Is it possible to change between pay-as-you-go and monthly paid plans?

I have no idea about pay as you go but I imagine pay as you go is a very flexible program. You can totally remove features if you'd like, without incurring additional costs. I once removed my internet for one week while I went to Europe so I wouldn't get charged expensive roaming fees- and then had them put it back on after that week-

Btw, slightly related question. With unlimited US&Canada calls with skype for $3/month and a phone number for skypeless people to call you at for another $3/month why do people even bother with landlines at home?

Well, I don't have skype.. never had, and I've heard the wonders about it too. But here I am :) It takes me awhile to switch to new technology-

• 1 year later...

Hi! I have a question concerning phone plans in the US. I have been living in the country for 3 years and I have a pay-as-you-go phone with AT&T. But now that I'm going to grad school, I want to get the iPhone. I have a SSN but I don't have a US credit history (I'm allergic to credit cards, I don't like them at all). Would that be a problem to get a contract with AT&T? Will I have to pay a deposit? (I will run short of money at the beginning of the year if I have to).

Note: Despite my allergy towards credit cards, I'm aware that I will need one if I want to live in this country, so I'll be getting one in August (sigh), but I'm afraid it won't help towards my credit history.

Hi! I have a question concerning phone plans in the US. I have been living in the country for 3 years and I have a pay-as-you-go phone with AT&T. But now that I'm going to grad school, I want to get the iPhone. I have a SSN but I don't have a US credit history (I'm allergic to credit cards, I don't like them at all). Would that be a problem to get a contract with AT&T? Will I have to pay a deposit? (I will run short of money at the beginning of the year if I have to).

Note: Despite my allergy towards credit cards, I'm aware that I will need one if I want to live in this country, so I'll be getting one in August (sigh), but I'm afraid it won't help towards my credit history.

It shouldn't be a problem. You might have to pay an additional connection fee of $20-40 - I did with Verizon, when I was in a similar situation. Good news is that a phone account will build your credit history. It helped me when I got a car loan recently that I've had a phone in my name for 5+ years, although I've only had a credit card (that I don't really use) for about 2.

I don't know if this has changed but when I got my iPhone last year, Apple wanted a $500 deposit because I also had no credit history. In the end, I put my dad down as the primary user to get around that.

Thanks for your replies. Do you know if the 500 deposit also works for the rest of the phones in ATT? There's no way I can afford a $500 deposit, especially at the beginning of the school year, with so many expenses. sad.gif

Thanks for your replies. Do you know if the 500 deposit also works for the rest of the phones in ATT? There's no way I can afford a $500 deposit, especially at the beginning of the school year, with so many expenses. sad.gif

The deposit came from Apple so I don't think other phones will have the same problem.

The deposit came from Apple so I don't think other phones will have the same problem.

Thanks a lot for your info! smile.gif I guess I'll go for a different phone, then.

Hey guys, I also have a question regarding phone plans. After an inordinate amount of research (picking a phone plan is so much simpler and cheaper where I come from), I decided on one of T-Mobile's Even More Plus plans (namely, Even More Plus 500 Talk + Text) which seems to be the best for me. Since I'm an international, I won't have any credit history and I was wondering do you think they would do a credit check and deny me on those grounds even for an Even More Plus plan? The EMPlus plans are without an annual contract and I wouldn't be getting a phone with the plan from T-Mobile. I would hate to be stuck on prepaid since so far it seems definite that prepaid would be more expensive for me per month.