Still nothing from one school--ask for an extension?

CarmenEBrady

Problem:

Accepted at UW Madison--I need to let them know bt April 15th. Still waiting on Boston University--I sent them an e-mail and they said to wait until the end of April.

Is it a faux pas asking UW for an extension this late in the game (April 9th)? (Or in general?)

I probably can't afford BU even if I do get in, but I just want to know all my choices before accepting an offer.

Thanks for the help!

I probably can't afford BU even if I do get in, but I just want to know all my choices before accepting an offer.

Sounds like you know your answer! Why hold out on accepting UW-Madison if you know you probably can't attend BU?

I understand the indecision, as I'm in the same boat. It couldn't hurt to ask for an extension- the worst they can say is no, and in that case, it sounds as though you know what you should do.

This is just *my* opinion, what I would do for myself if I were in your shoes.

First, it's good to get all of your options. Schools have to juggle acceptances and rejections of offers, just like you do. It's hectic for everyone, but I would put myself first, the inconvenience for the programs second. This is just a sad consequence of the way the system is set up - do what's best for you, no school wants you if you don't really want to be there.

Ok, so I'll assume none of your offers were funded. If that's the case, any unfunded offer can be revoked at any time, so if you ask for an extension past 4/15, take into consideration that you *may* be pushing your luck with Wisconsin. I don't know what you're studying or if an advisor has spent substantial time with you. Just keep in mind you might be burning a bridge, but again, it's your future, go where you're happy and do what's right for you.

What you can do is accept the offer and wait until you hear back (from any program). If you get a better offer, contact Wisconsin and let them know you'd like to be released from the agreement. Again, they don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there.

There's no perfect answer here, especially since students are still getting acceptances and funding this late in April since it seems that very few students will make a final decision until very close to April 15th.

From what I understand, schools can request a response from you due before April 15th if the offer is unfunded. I contacted the Council of Graduate Schools to get clarification - in general they didn't seem to like any school on their list requesting student responses before April 15th.

Edited by warprin

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use