Departments with Language Evolution/Music?

racataca

Since starting my MA, my focus has really shifted a great deal, and I'm interested in studying the evolution of language and its similarities and differences with music/syntax vs. musical theory.  I'm not sure how to even go about googling this, but I was wondering if anyone had heard about departments where similar studies might be going on?  I have to eventually apply for my PhD (who knows when), and have no idea where to start looking.

this is really not my area so I only have very vague advice to give you: I met a Professor at Maryland who does language and music, I can't remember his name now, but he's in the Psychology department. I also know there's someone doing Lang Evolution at UC Merced in the Cog Sci department.

I think a good way to go about this is: go to your favorite journal articles on those topics, see who wrote it, look them up. Also look at the references, find more articles that you find interesting, see who wrote those, etc.   :)

This is not my specialty but I know David Pesetsky at MIT has an interest in language and music (though it's certainly not the only thing he does). I think beccamayworth's suggestion is a very good one -- find some papers that interest you and find out where their authors teach. Follow up on the references in those papers, and read up on their authors too. That's the best way to find researchers who you'd like to work with. 

Not my subfield either, but check out John F. Bailyn from Stony Brook, he's very fond of music cognition (apart from being an excellent syntactician), and he can also provide further references.

As for evolution of language, I know even less. However, this year there will be a seminar on this topic within the summer school that I attend on a yearly basis. The seminar will be taught by James Hurford from University of Edinburgh (whom I don't know personally), and it will be based on his recently published book. I am unlikely to be attending this particular seminar, but I will have access to the materials and I can forward them to you when they become available (in July most likely). Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need further info.

• 5 months later...

Hey racataca!

Its nice to find someone with the same interests. Language Evolution is also my main field of inquiry too, particularly with relation to dance notation. Edinburgh is definitely the hub of language Evolution and where I am applying as my first choice. Dr. Simon Kirby is the head of that field, and also James Kirby is there too (no relation). But I don't think they do much with music there. I have a similar problem since my research will eventually require the use of dancer subjects and Edinburgh has neither a dance department or much of fine arts at all (may have to travel to Glasgow), nor a big dance or formal music scene. 

McGill certainly has a strong music school and plenty of networks between the two. Im also looking at U Penn because they have two professors there who work on Language evolution (one recently a grad of Edinburgh). NYU may be of interest too because of access/networks to the TISCH school of the arts.

It is a small field at the moment though so if you find any other schools or People of Interest, please message me, because I seem to be having the same trouble as you.