Is it bad to back out of an offer after April 15th?

I am not sure what to do.. I have a full offer from one school but my program of choice has me first on the funding wait list.. So if someone turns down the assistantship package it is mine! What do I do? I still haven't heard anything yet.

It's a risk, but I think that the odds should be in your favor...you have to realize that most students will wait until the 15th to make a decision and you won't hear back from the program until students with funded offers decline. I was on a funding waitlist near the top and got an offer the next day - it just depends on how much you'd like to take the risk. Worst case scenario, you defer admission and re-apply for funding next year? Not sure what your financial situation is though...

Edited by Eastside21

Can you wait until April 15 to submit your response, in case someone turns down an offer on the last day and it goes over to you? If this doesn't happen, naturally you'd need to come up with a plan B.

I don't know how it works in the US, but I'm wondering if you could let the school know that they're your first choice and have them contact you on the 15th if someone declines. If the responses need to be in by 5pm and the schools are in a different time zone or if the deadline is midnight and no one could contact you late in the evening then this plan obviously would not work.

You didn't mention how much you like the program you have been accepted to.... On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate each of the 2 options? Would you be willing to put your plans on hold for one year by deferring until next year in case someone at your top choice doesn't decline?

I am not sure what to do.. I have a full offer from one school but my program of choice has me first on the funding wait list.. So if someone turns down the assistantship package it is mine! What do I do? I still haven't heard anything yet.

I agree with jenste--let your waitlisted school know that you will definitely accept if funding is available. Then, for your already accepted/funded school, wait as long as you can. In my field, people make decisions in the last few days and the profs have backup offers ready to go right away! If possible, maybe ask for a few days extension with your second choice school (although it might be hard to get it but you can always ask).