Vanier Announcement

traveltip

Hi again, everyone. Just wanted to let you know that my official Vanier letter arrived in the mail on Thursday, April 30 (yesterday). It was dated April 17 but not mailed (postmarked) until April 27 for some reason. If you haven't gotten yours yet, it should arrive soon.

The announcement yesterday in Ottawa was fine, basically as expected -- brief remarks from Chad Geffield (SSHRC President), Gary Goodyear (Minister of State for Science & Technology), Laurent Beaudoin (former President and CEO of Bombardier; selection committe chair), and three Vanier recipients (one each from SSHRC, CIHR and NSERC who all spoke very well). That was followed by an hour-long wine and cheese reception and a chance to meet and greet. I'm glad I was able to go, but I think those of you from further away who decided not to attend made the right decision -- it would have been an awful lot of traveling for a very short event. And you'll get the funding regardless of whether or not you attended! :)

The list of 166 winners is posted on the website. Here's how they break down by school (where the award will be taken up):

Toronto 34

British Columbia 17

Alberta 12

McGill 11

Montreal 11

Laval 8

McMaster 8

Waterloo 7

Western 6

Simon Fraser 6

York 6

Ottawa 5

Manitoba 4

Quebec a Montreal 3

Saskatchewan 3

Guelph 3

Queen's 3

Carleton 3

Sherbrooke 2

Calgary 2

Brock 1

Concordia 1

Dalhousie 1

Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal 1

HEC Montreal 1

Memorial 1

Ryerson 1

Trent 1

Lethbridge 1

Victoria 1

Windsor 1

Laurier 1

Congratulations again, and best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear about SSHRC doctoral awards.

Thanks for the report, traveltip! I'm glad I don't seem to have missed anything earth-shattering at the reception.

Looks like Vanier recipients are a dime a dozen at U of T! (That's where I'm headed in September.)