Phd in Georgia Aerospace vs UIUC ECE

nalsrayatko

Dear friends,

My undergraduate degrees are in the field of ECE and I have been admitted to Georgia Tech Aerospace-Phd and committed the acceptance of their offer just 10 days ago. They even sent my I-20 documents yesterday. At that time, I got a rejection letter from UIUC ECE department which is one of my first choice. But a few days ago, a faculty of UIUC ECE department surprisingly sent me an email stated that he was interested in my application and he would offer me an RA position if I am still interested in coming to UIUC ECE.

Now I am in a very bad dilemma about what to do. If I change my decision as not going to the Georgia Tech, this will cause a trouble for the professor in Georgia Tech and he has to find a new student, the most important thing, it was not ethical since I promised to come. But on the other hand, if I go to Georgia Tech Aerospace, I will give up the chance to go to my dream school UIUC-ECE by just sending an email myself.

Both school offer me an RA position and all I want to do is researching on control science, both program have very well-known faculties. I hope to study on control of a (or a group of) ground vehicle in Georgia Tech and the other professor offers me a project related with distributed systems and control.

Any advices will be appreciated

The truth is this is a moral choice which only you will be able to make. There are a few other threads about such a dilema, but personally I would

go to the place that wanted me in the first time.

I believe Georgia Tech is slightly better as a Engineering school, and GaTech definitely has more industrial connections than UIUC, I'm also working in control theory and application, researches in ECE@UIUC are more theoretical, while GT professors have more funding from industry, if I were u, I'll choose GT without a doubt.

These schools are right next to each other on most of the rankings, for whatever that is worth. I think you will get a comparable education and subsequent opportunities either way. Even the funding sounds similar., although I am unsure of cost of living at Georgia Tech.

If you go with UIUC, Georgia Tech will be PO'd but they are not going to open some blood feud to go after you 5 years from now. Nonetheless, I would not apply there again. For anything. I would also try to avoid the professor in question at conferences, at least until he has forgotten you.

If you go with GTech, nothing is lost except you will be going somewhere you would rather not be. However unreasonable that may sound to others, it will influence how well you can do at that school.

This is a tough choice to make. Good luck!

Well, I have given up my last chance to get in my dream school and wasted it with my own hand. Such a poor ending. I sent an email to the professor in UIUC stated that I will go to the Georgia Tech (since I promise). I feel really bad to do such a thing, because he even made call to my cell phone in order to convince me coming to the UIUC and even offered me to talk with the professor of the Georgia Tech if I change my decision. If there is no any chance to go UIUC at first, I will be happy to go to Georgia Tech, but now I will remember how I waste the my last chance every day I spent in Georgia Tech. :oops: