question about databases

Hello everyone,

I no longer have access to jstor/mla . . . through the school at which I received my masters, but I have conference proposals to write, papers to tweak, and grant applications to do this year while I'm reapplying to PHD programs.  Does anyone know how I go about getting access to the databases to get scholarly articles?  I'm most interested in jstor and mla--I think that there may be a way to buy access?  Any info would be appreciated.  I wonder if there is an affordable way to get access to more than one database. Thanks!

You could always do research at your local public library? Not the most convenient if you want to look up electronic articles from home, but your local library might just have these subscription services. Also, your local public university might let you use their library!

Do you have friends who are still students in your MA program? My friends and I used to share our log in information with recent alumni. 

This--I still have access to my undergrad electronic library thanks to some helpful friends. If you know anyone with access, hopefully they will let you use their info (I can't imagine why they wouldn't). Subscribing to JSTOR is a pretty confusing process, at least from what I'm looking at. They do apparently have free options that you can access. You can access up to 78 articles a year for free if you create a myJSTOR account. http://about.jstor.org/rr They also have something called a "JPASS" now, which lets you sign up for monthly or yearly subscriptions to access 80% of the archive (you need to create a myJSTOR account in order to view this option).

MLA, I'm not sure about. Are you talking about the MLA international bibliography? It always worked as a portal to other online databases for me rather than a database in itself.

Thanks everyone!  Rachelann, the library is a good idea; I was able to go to the local university and get a visitor library card to check out books.  I can use the databases while there.  The only downside is that I have 5 young kids, so it's hard to go and work there (and probably cheaper to buy access to the databases than pay for a babysitter ;)).  Proflorax, that's a good idea, and Shortstack, you're right: I think I always got to the MLA international bibliography from EBSCO.  I am finding JSTOR rather confusing to subscribe to...arg!  You'd think they'd somehow make it easier for people to get access to scholarly books and articles.  Thanks again for all of your help everyone. 

At my university we have an option for people still needing to research but who aren't on campus anymore, it's a zero-credit thesis continuation/research course that grants you access to the library resources. Maybe your university has something like that? Whatever cost it would be would likely be lower than subscribing to all the databases you would want to use. That way you could get in through a VPN instead of having to be there physically.