Struggling with my history MA thesis topic

LucyG

Hello,

I am really struggling to arrive on a definitive thesis topic and research question.

My original interest was with freak shows of the 20th century, however my thesis supervisor suggested I should instead write on negro genitalia and its presentation in museum exhibits. 

I should point out I am doing American history, so my thesis needs to be in regards to that.

I am now considering writing on paedophiles in America and the system they go through and draw in dutch comparisons (I'm studying in the Netherlands)

This is all very vague but if anyone has any useful comments it would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks,

Lucy

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is late.

I don't have suggestions, but I have questions. Why were you interested in freak shows? What part of freak shows were you interested in? Why did your supervisor think that you would be interested in negro genitalia in museum exhibits? You have an interest in the system pedophiles deal with in America, but what relevance does that have to what you intend to do in the future, once your thesis is written? What do you want to do with your MA and how will your thesis help you get there?

I have to say that I am a bit disturbed by how casually the potential topics were presented. Other than that, I agree with danieleWrites. Your thesis should be of interest to you, and should contribute somehow or at least be relevant to your future goals.

If your advisor was trying to suggest that freak shows alone would be too broad, then I understand the recommendation to focus on one type of exhibit of the "freak show" variety. I don't see how the pedophile idea is at all related, unless social/sexual deviancy is your area of interest. if it is, then think long and hard about what subfield interests you most, and most importantly, what you might want to continue researching in that area a few years down the road (is this a topic that you will be totally sick of in 5 years and regret attaching your name to?).