2015 Applicants Assemble!

ZiggyPhil

Does anyone know what was UConn deadline for last year? If the 2014 season results gives us any insight, there is a possibility that we hear from them this week, though I find it very unlikely given that the deadline was last Thursday.

I know someone in the UConn PhD program right now, who applied there at the last minute (day of the deadline) and was accepted well under two weeks later. Also, I've been on UConn's wait list before (last year), and I know that they do their admissions -- or at least have done so in the past -- in a pretty unique way. Anyway, I hope you get an offer! Are they one of your top picks? 

I know someone in the UConn PhD program right now, who applied there at the last minute (day of the deadline) and was accepted well under two weeks later. Also, I've been on UConn's wait list before (last year), and I know that they do their admissions -- or at least have done so in the past -- in a pretty unique way. Anyway, I hope you get an offer! Are they one of your top picks?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "a pretty unique way"?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "a pretty unique way"?

UConn seems to have a *very* long wait list. They seem to wait until *much* closer to the deadline to reject any large amount of applicants. I don't know of another top department that does something similar. If, for example, you look at the UConn applications results posted for 2013 on the results page, you'll notice there are a ton of rejections posted on April 19th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+connecticut&t=a&o=. In2014, when I was wait listed, there were offers given out as early as Jan 23, maybe even earlier. Then I was kept on the wait list all the way through until April 15th -- I took myself off the wait list April 16th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+storrs&t=a&o=&pp=25

Edited by a_for_aporia

UConn seems to have a *very* long wait list. They seem to wait until *much* closer to the deadline to reject any large amount of applicants. I don't know of another top department that does something similar. If, for example, you look at the UConn applications resulted posted for 2013 on the results page, you'll notice there are a ton of rejections posted on April 19th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+connecticut&t=a&o=. In2014, when I was wait listed, there were offers given out as early as Jan 23, maybe even earlier. Then I was kept on the wait list all the way through until April 15th -- I took myself off the wait list April 16th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+storrs&t=a&o=&pp=25

Can confirm. I and everyone I knew that applied to UConn was waitlisted.

edit: which really made me feel really less special afterwards :(

I also wonder how their recent increase in prestige will affect their admissions process. They seemed to carry a long (though at times too long) waitlist out of necessity, with few people pursuing it as their top choice. That might not be the case anymore.

Edited by Establishment

Can confirm. I and everyone I knew that applied to UConn was waitlisted.

edit: which really made me feel really less special afterwards :(

I also wonder how their recent increase in prestige will affect their admissions process. They seemed to carry a long (though at times too long) waitlist out of necessity, with few people pursuing it as their top choice. That might not be the case anymore.

Good point. They might do things very differently this year. They might actually reject people before April 19th!

That waitlist scenario does sound unfortunate.

When I applied to programs two years ago, I was never notified about my status as an applicant by at least two schools. When I contacted them April 14 I was told I was on an unofficial waitlist and would hear back soon. Still waiting on those emails!

interesting UConn is being mentioned here- I'm having a lot of stress about my app to UConn and it's the only one- two of my letter writers never received the link to UConn in their spam or regular email so I had them send the letter to the department's email - philosophy@uconn.edu. I have been emailing them to ask if they received the letters and added them to my application and have not received a response- granted I know they are incredibly busy but it's just hard when you are unsure whether or not your application is in limbo! I just emailed graduate admissions yesterday (why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me) and am hoping for a response tomorrow!

Wow, I couldn't imagine how frustrating it is being held until April 15th. Hope it doesn't happen this year again.

interesting UConn is being mentioned here- I'm having a lot of stress about my app to UConn and it's the only one- two of my letter writers never received the link to UConn in their spam or regular email so I had them send the letter to the department's email - philosophy@uconn.edu. I have been emailing them to ask if they received the letters and added them to my application and have not received a response- granted I know they are incredibly busy but it's just hard when you are unsure whether or not your application is in limbo! I just emailed graduate admissions yesterday (why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me) and am hoping for a response tomorrow!

That's a bummer  :( .I don't know if this is of any help, but I had a great experience applying to UConn. They were the first school to assign my test scores and both the admissions office and the DGS answered my e-mails within a couple days.

Edited by reixis

Really sorry to hear about that complication. I had only one or two letter emails get lost, and luckily was able to follow up on them pretty quickly and the profs took care of everything before the deadlines. (Thank goodness for spreadsheets—I'd have been lost without them!)

Just a quick point: I doubt they'll email you tomorrow since it's a federal holiday, so don't fret if/when they don't respond until Tuesday!

That waitlist scenario does sound unfortunate.

When I applied to programs two years ago, I was never notified about my status as an applicant by at least two schools. When I contacted them April 14 I was told I was on an unofficial waitlist and would hear back soon. Still waiting on those emails!

So you've been on those wait lists since 2013? 

That's a lot of waiting. 

Edited by a_for_aporia

Really sorry to hear about that complication. I had only one or two letter emails get lost, and luckily was able to follow up on them pretty quickly and the profs took care of everything before the deadlines. (Thank goodness for spreadsheets—I'd have been lost without them!)

Just a quick point: I doubt they'll email you tomorrow since it's a federal holiday, so don't fret if/when they don't respond until Tuesday!

oh thank you for the reminder! I keep forgetting tomorrow is a holiday!

When you said you emailed graduate admissions, did you mean the department DGS (Mitch Green) or the graduate school? Note that the graduate school will be closed on Monday January 19th due to the federal holiday.

If you don't hear back by Tuesday you should shoot me an email (nathan.kellen@gmail.com) and I will mention it to Mitch in person.

Sorry for the response time - our semester starts Tuesday and the last couple days of vacation are always kind of hectic.

UConn seems to have a *very* long wait list. They seem to wait until *much* closer to the deadline to reject any large amount of applicants. I don't know of another top department that does something similar. If, for example, you look at the UConn applications results posted for 2013 on the results page, you'll notice there are a ton of rejections posted on April 19th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+connecticut&t=a&o=. In2014, when I was wait listed, there were offers given out as early as Jan 23, maybe even earlier. Then I was kept on the wait list all the way through until April 15th -- I took myself off the wait list April 16th: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy+storrs&t=a&o=&pp=25

Regarding this (given there's a bunch of posts about this topic): one of the first things that I did when I became philosophy grad president at UConn was to bring this up to the DGS as something to look at. I believe this practice will be changing, although I'm not actually privy to any of the real details of the admissions process.

Has anyone else noticed that Brown's placement record is pretty abysmal? They have a bad record for a top-50 program, let alone for a top-20. Is this a good reason to not apply to their PhD program? I'm genuinely interested in opinions, since I was planning on applying to Brown this year. 

Placement record here: http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Philosophy/grads-placement.php

Ya, I've wondered this myself. Another possible reason is that they are a pretty small department if I'm not mistaken. And the fewer arrows you have, the fewer chances to hit the target, or something like that. 

Ya, I've wondered this myself. Another possible reason is that they are a pretty small department if I'm not mistaken. And the fewer arrows you have, the fewer chances to hit the target, or something like that. 

That's probably a good reason, yeah. But given the strength of their faculty, not to mention the fact that Brown is an Ivy League school, I'd still expect their placement record to be stronger. No doubt a great place to do a PhD, in any case. 

Edited by a_for_aporia

When you said you emailed graduate admissions, did you mean the department DGS (Mitch Green) or the graduate school? Note that the graduate school will be closed on Monday January 19th due to the federal holiday.

If you don't hear back by Tuesday you should shoot me an email (nathan.kellen@gmail.com) and I will mention it to Mitch in person.

Sorry for the response time - our semester starts Tuesday and the last couple days of vacation are always kind of hectic.

Thank you for your incredibly kind offer! They got back to me today in fact! Everything was sorted out- they found the one letter and the other wasn't there- I contacted my  prof who in fact had a blonde moment and forgot to send it out! He got it to them today! 

That's probably a good reason, yeah. But given the strength of their faculty, not to mention the fact that Brown is an Ivy League school, I'd still expect their placement record to be stronger. No doubt a great place to do a PhD, in any case. 

Quite the list you have there in your byline. Good luck!!!

Hi Everyone! :)

Long time lurker, so I thought I would say hi... "hi"

I am also a first year PhD student; so, if anyone has any questions, I am happy to try to answer them. Or, if there are any other transfer applicants, I would love to talk about our situations. :)

Edited by ModalPuppy

Hi Everyone! :)

Long time lurker, so I thought I would say hi... "hi"

I am also a first year PhD student; so, if anyone has any questions, I am happy to try to answer them. Or, if there are any other transfer applicants, I would love to talk about our situations. :)

Fellow transfer student here!

Looks like we have the first decisions of the season! A couple Masters acceptances (Durham and UCL), a Masters rejection (Cambridge), and a PhD rejection (Bristol). It would seem that the fact that they're all British is due to procedural differences between the US and UK. Perhaps we'll see some acceptances on this side of the pond this week and next.

A lot of the British universities have rolling admissions with final deadlines in the spring/summer, so it's not surprising that they're first. Congrats to those who received acceptances!

Edited by Page228

Idk if y'all are already aware of this but Ohio State, Duke and UNC all released first rounds in January last year, and supposing the past is a good predictor of the future (a radical presumption perhaps in philosophical company), we have reason to suspect their results sooner rather than later :)

I got an acceptance at UT-Austin in Comm Studies (it's a phil of rhetoric track).   It's one of the top 3ish programs in Comm Studies, so it was kind of exciting.  (I was planning on applying within two fields this year).  The program has a number of philosophers turned rhetoricians--they are especially focused on pragmatic philosophy.  I pitched in my ps that I wanted to work on the entire "rhetoric as epistemic" idea and apparently it worked.  I'm still waiting on funding information.  

So it appears that I probably won't be going to a philosophy program for my Ph.D.  If any of you get in in Phil at UT-Austin shoot me a message!