2015 Applicants Assemble!

ZiggyPhil

Idk if y'all are already aware of this but Ohio State, Duke and UNC all released first rounds in January last year, and supposing the past is a good predictor of the future (a radical presumption perhaps in philosophical company), we have reason to suspect their results sooner rather than later :)

Oh, such suppositions have already been systematized (https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/predictions/)

To my knowledge, though, there's not yet a site for betting on which schools will release when. Maybe I just found my fall-back plan if I'm shut out this round...

I got an acceptance at UT-Austin in Comm Studies (it's a phil of rhetoric track).   It's one of the top 3ish programs in Comm Studies, so it was kind of exciting.  (I was planning on applying within two fields this year).  The program has a number of philosophers turned rhetoricians--they are especially focused on pragmatic philosophy.  I pitched in my ps that I wanted to work on the entire "rhetoric as epistemic" idea and apparently it worked.  I'm still waiting on funding information.  

So it appears that I probably won't be going to a philosophy program for my Ph.D.  If any of you get in in Phil at UT-Austin shoot me a message!  

Congrats!

I got an acceptance at UT-Austin in Comm Studies (it's a phil of rhetoric track).   It's one of the top 3ish programs in Comm Studies, so it was kind of exciting.  (I was planning on applying within two fields this year).  The program has a number of philosophers turned rhetoricians--they are especially focused on pragmatic philosophy.  I pitched in my ps that I wanted to work on the entire "rhetoric as epistemic" idea and apparently it worked.  I'm still waiting on funding information.  

So it appears that I probably won't be going to a philosophy program for my Ph.D.  If any of you get in in Phil at UT-Austin shoot me a message!  

Congrats on the acceptance!

@topic

Anyone interested in forming a Skype group or something like that? I remember that a few years ago there was an IRC channel for philosophy applicants to chill out. 

I really need to practice my spoken English and this seems like a good opportunity. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will create a group.

Apparently Florida state is now releasing results, according to the results page. Saw a couple acceptances to "Religion, Ethics, and Philosophy"--I don't know enough about that school to know if that indicates their philosophy department in general is releasing results or not. 

Oh, such suppositions have already been systematized (https://philosophyadmissions.wordpress.com/predictions/)

To my knowledge, though, there's not yet a site for betting on which schools will release when. Maybe I just found my fall-back plan if I'm shut out this round...

Ya, but there's also an extended version of that out there somewhere that has three years back :)

At least two now. They're about two weeks earlier than last year, but they do seem to have a pattern of sending out rejections before acceptances (which is rare, from what I've seen).

https://faircloudblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/february-7-washington-university-in-st-louis/

This is just what WUSTL does, apparently.  If you applied and weren't rejected today, that's good news.

It seems like there is a first acceptance for Philosophy PhD (University of Missouri). I'm not sure whether it is someone from here, but if it is, congratulations!

Thanks. I was completely shut out last year, so getting an acceptance this early in the process was quite relieving.

Congrats! The offer from Missouri came with a fellowship too, right? That's got to feel even better! 

Thanks! However, it's only a nomination for a university-wide fellowship. It's not guaranteed, but it's definitely a nice addition to the acceptance all the same. 

Thanks! However, it's only a nomination for a university-wide fellowship. It's not guaranteed, but it's definitely a nice addition to the acceptance all the same. 

A HUGE congratulations to you! What a rollercoaster ride for you this weekend- I saw that you received a rejection from WUSTL, just to check the email again and receive such amazing news!! Take that WUSTL! :)

Thanks. I was completely shut out last year, so getting an acceptance this early in the process was quite relieving.

Congratulations! It must feel great knowing that you'll be going somewhere next year, especially after getting shut out last year. This early in the application season, I think we're all living vicariously through your success.

I thought I should jump on and introduce myself since I'll be frequenting the site so much until I hear from all of the programs I applied to. So far I've heard from WUSTL (first one to post the rejection). 1 down, 20 to go :).

Anyway, my name's Dusty, and I'm currently at Western Michigan University finishing up my M.A.

On 1/25/2015 at 2:03 AM, Atropos said:

I thought I should jump on and introduce myself since I'll be frequenting the site so much until I hear from all of the programs I applied to. So far I've heard from WUSTL (first one to post the rejection). 1 down, 20 to go :).

Anyway, my name's Dusty, and I'm currently at Western Michigan University finishing up my M.A.

Welcome, Dusty. What are your areas of interest? (Also, 21 applications? That's gotta cost a pretty penny! :) )

Welcome, Dusty. What are your areas of interest? (Also, 21 applications? That's gotta cost a pretty penny! :) )

Thanks! My interests are in phil mind, political philosophy, phil law, ethics (applied more than theoretical, probably), and philosophy of technology.

Yeah, I've been living off of ramen for quite some time, lol.