Co-authors pay for poster printing?

entangled

is that standard to ask co-authors to chip in for poster printing? 

I've been on numerous posters as first author (I've always payed for posters in full) but its my first time as a co-author to another student. She wants all the student co-authors to pick up the tab on printing the poster. Wondering if thats a standard thing. Oh, not to mention, I'm not even going to this conference, so I'm not even getting any reimbursement from the dept (unlike her). 

Just wondering what the etiquette is and if I should just say no thanks.

Cheers

Not standard at all. Also, if the first author is getting reimbursement for the conference from the department, then she should just submit her poster printing expense as part of what the department is covering/reimbursing. Unless of course the department is specifically excluding this expense! In general, when a department is fully reimbursing conference costs, poster printing is definitely one of them.

Also, I think it's really weird that the student co-authors would be expected to pay for it. In my field, if for some reason the coauthors have to pay out of their own grant/funding, usually the professors will pay, not the students. 

In your case, I think you should ask her if she has checked if her supervisor/lab group/department will pay for it. If they already said no, then I don't think it's fair to expect you to pay for the printing. However, you might recommend that she find a cheap printer--sometimes the department might own one so you only pay the cost of printing (cost is usually around $20-$30) or the on campus printing service might have a good deal. Alternatively, she can consider a cloth poster if she has enough time between ordering and printing. See http://labhacks.tumblr.com/post/62420107780/the-25-scrunchable-scientific-poster -- I've heard many good reviews from my colleagues and seen some of them too. Only $25!

thanks for the responses. 

This is a good lesson for new academics, too. Just standard etiquette that people may not be aware of. I don't blame her for not knowing, I find it a little funny =)

Cheers

Edited by EnTangled1