Do I have a chance? (NSSR + others)

smetan

Hi everyone! 

I've had mental health issues most of my life, that went untreated until this year. So when I started my undergraduate degree, I had your typical cliche "downward spiral". My first year, I thought it would be great to go to school abroad and did a year of university in Scotland (I'm from New York). The environment was unsupportive with no opportunities, so I switched schools - this time I went to Montreal, Canada. Now I've completed my second year here, and this is the only year, so far, that counts for my GPA. And I just got a C- and might actually be getting a second. 

So my grades are, and probably always will be, quite "mediocre". My highest grades (As, and A+s) are mostly from my minor, theology. But aside from that, I'm active in a student journal, I may do research in a developmental psych lab starting in the fall, and I run a survivors of sexual assault "discussion" group (we can't legally call it a support group since I'm not a trained counsellor). I'm also active in Montreals LGBTQ activist community.

What are my chances of getting into a MA program (provided I don't shoot for something like Columbia)? I'm charismatic, I interview well, and I have lots of unique research ideas. I really do think I could sell myself well...if I didn't have to show my transcript.

I'm already looking at the New School for Social Research - does anyone know how difficult/selective their admissions process is? I'm particularly interested in the Substance Abuse concentration. 

Anyway..thanks for reading my sob story! Please let me know if you have any advice for me. I just want to work with people and help them. Maybe I can live without getting my PhD but an MA is a must. 

Understand that the workload in grad school is a heck of a lot more than undergrad. You have to prove you can handle the work. At my Master's program, two C's were grounds for dismissal - not probation, dismissal.  If you can fix your transcript over the next two years, you might have a shot, but you'd need 4.0's and outstanding GREs, as well as research experience.

The M.A. program at NSSR is not particularly selective.

I heard that too. And I heard that if you do an MA you are practically guaranteed admission into the PhD Program. I could be wrong though.. you should def. double check on that.

Also, is the program funded? I think it might not be.

Guest joshw4288

I heard that too. And I heard that if you do an MA you are practically guaranteed admission into the PhD Program. I could be wrong though.. you should def. double check on that.

Also, is the program funded? I think it might not be.

They will likely partially fund you. I have seen tuition waivers ranging from 25-50% for M.A. students. Still, at 40k per year this is quite a large sum of money to spend when other viable options exist for less than a quarter of this cost. The Ph.D. program is poorly funded as well. They generally only admit their own M.A. students into the Ph.D. program so if you want your Ph.D. from NSSR, you best attend the M.A. program there. 

My personal feeling (and why I did not attend NSSR for my M.A.) is that the program is too large for the number of faculty, meaning limited research experiences, not everyone gets to complete an M.A. thesis and you are not required to do one. As preparation for doctoral programs, this is not good. 

They will likely partially fund you. I have seen tuition waivers ranging from 25-50% for M.A. students. Still, at 40k per year this is quite a large sum of money to spend when other viable options exist for less than a quarter of this cost. The Ph.D. program is poorly funded as well. They generally only admit their own M.A. students into the Ph.D. program so if you want your Ph.D. from NSSR, you best attend the M.A. program there. 

My personal feeling (and why I did not attend NSSR for my M.A.) is that the program is too large for the number of faculty, meaning limited research experiences, not everyone gets to complete an M.A. thesis and you are not required to do one. As preparation for doctoral programs, this is not good. 

Yeah, especially when you add in the cost of living in NYC. Now that you mention it , I remember meeting someone at a conference from NSSR who had bad experiences with non-responsive faculty.

Are you perhaps overloaded with too much work? You are involved in 3 extra-curricular activities. If so, can you perhaps reduce your hours or quit one? If you want to volunteer, take an independent lab/study course instead and that way, you can earn credit while gaining some research experience. You said you have a lot of research ideas. You could get excellent LOR too if you do well with your study. You can still make a turnaround since you still have 60 credits to complete. Kill those exams and show an upward trend. Admissions like that.

Edited by Patont