Prospective Environmental Policy Applicant

I am hoping some of the forum bloggers will be able to demystify the MPA/MPA application process and provide some advice. I plan to apply to public policy/affairs degrees next year and my specific interest is environmental Policy.

My stats are as follows:

*GPA: 3.0 from top liberal arts college, major in Political Science (GPA 3.3), minor in geosciences. My GPA improves greatly from freshman to senior year.

*GRE: 640 Verbal, 570 Quant., 4.5 writing (with no studying). I hope to retake the test with some studying.

*2 years at top environmental policy consulting firm--all public agencies (e.g., EPA, Department of Transportation, state environmental agencies)

*2 years of various, unrelated entrepreneurial work

*Fulbright fellow

*study abroad in Mongolia

I know all my numbers are low, however I am certain I can write a good statement of purpose and I have already secured letters of recommendation from professional and academic contacts (all of whom write well and I am certain will write stellar recs).

My top schools include:

Harvard-KSG

Michigan-Ford

Duke-Sanford

Yale-Forestry School

Columbia-SIPA

Berkeley-Goldman

Are these totally unrealistic? Please be honest. I am planning to apply to dual degrees with environmental management with several of these schools.

Thanks.

I would only recommend that, if you are already concerned about your numbers, I wouldn't apply for the dual degree straight away. Its a lot more competitive for for dual acceptance off-the-bat than the individual programs. At most places, once you are in, you can switch into the dual when you arrive with no problems. I'd also recommend you look into Indiana.

I got into Michigan School of Natural Resources and Duke Nicholas School and didn't apply to the other schools on your list. Kind of kicking myself that I didn't apply to Yale but oh well. If you look at some of my previous posts you'll find that I have generally similar stats as you: GRE scores, 2 years work experience, relevant internships, etc. I applied to SNRE over Ford and Nicholas over Sanford because those programs were more science-based rather than policy based, just my personal preference.

I don't think you will have trouble getting into the same schools I did, but remember that this is a anonymous internet website :) and I would think that GSPP, WWS, and HKS would be a bit more challenging to get into because those programs garner more interest from prospective students.

I think which schools you apply to depends on a couple of different factors--do you want mostly policy analysis skills, mostly management skills, mostly science-oriented/science-informed skills, or an even combination?

Also, I would think about whether $$ is a big factor for you. Seeing some of the posts this year (and from my own experience), I find that WE and GRE and GPA #s alone probably won't make or break your application and acceptance, but they *definitely* will impact the kind of funding you get (or don't get).

Given that, I would think about a matrix of your desired program attributes and other softer factors (location, funding, etc.) and go from there. I would also suggest looking into Carnegie Mellon's program--they have a concentration in environmental policy and being a tech school, they also have alot of science-oriented resources to tap into. And from what I hear/see on this forum, they also are a little more open with funding.

Hi RabbitRabbit,

As a graduate of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Science (F&ES) I would recommend contacting Emly McDiarmid, Director of Admissions, at F&ES and ask her if you'd be a competitive applicant or not. Emly is usually very upfront about this. If you're living in the U.S., I would also recommend that you attend an open house at F&ES (usually in early & late fall). This will give you an opportunity to find out if F&ES is the right school for you and will give you an opportunity to meet with the admissions staff, faculty, and current students. I found that many students who attended the open houses were later admitted (myself included).

If you haven't browsed the F&ES website yet, check out the following link which describes the typical F&ES student: http://www.forestry.yale.edu/prospectiv ... S-Student/ You'll see that your numbers aren't too far from the average, plus your work experience will give you an advantage.

What dual-degree program are you considering? If you're considering a dual-degree with the School of Business, International Relations, International & Development Economics, or Yale Law, I highly doubt that you'll be a competitive applicant for any of these programs based on your GPA. However, if you're certain that you want to do a dual degree at Yale, you may consider applying to F&ES, complete a semester of coursework (including classes in economics, business, etc.), and then apply to your program of choice.

Also, are you aware that the Harvard Kennedy School no longer offers environmental policy as one of its policy concentration areas? You can focus on environment and resources systems in the International & Global Affairs concentration, but actual coursework in environmental policy now seems to be very limited.

Why are you not considering the top environmental policy schools like IU-Bloomington and Syracuse?

Good luck with your decisions and be sure to contact Emly McDiarmid at Yale F&ES!

FES, if I might ask, why are you pursuing another master's?

Hi Pizzatime--I've decided to pursue another master's degree simply because my career goals have changed since completing my first master's degree (Master of Forest Science). Initially I wanted to enter the professoriate but after being in a PhD program for less an year, I quickly realized that academia isn't for me. After withdrawing from my PhD program, I began looking for work and almost all of the jobs I was interested in required an MPA/MPP degree. So it was a no-brainer--go back to school and get an MPP degree.

I second FES's suggestion of looking into IU SPEA and Syracuse.

Great advice. The SUNY-ESF forestry school is located in the city of Syracuse right near Syracuse University so there are abundant interdisciplinary opportunities there.