AFRI NIFA 2014

ekpfeil

Just took a look at CRIS (the abstracts of funded projects) for the fellowship.  It was at 214 records since February, now it is at 217.

Good call. It appears that it's 1 postdoc fellowship, 1 grad fellowship, and an unrelated grant. I wonder if we won't hear the final announcement until Fiscal Year 2015 - October 1st. 

That's it? 1 postdoc, 1 grad, and 1 whatever? Should there be more awards than that, or is that a typical number for this program? doesn't seem right...  I guess maybe they are waiting on funding to come through.

Well there isn't an abstract for the grad student winner from the link above (Washington University in St. Louis), so who knows how many winners there have been so far.

I got an email from Dr. Ali and his response "Announcements are anticipated within the next two weeks." Here is to hoping it doesn't get pushed back again!

Edit: another postdoc recipient was added to CRIS. I doubt this is fully up to date

Rejection - Low Priority. For the lamest reasons possible that i have ever seen. And I've written A LOT of proposals. Good luck to everyone that is left!!!!

Rejection - Low Priority. For the lamest reasons possible that i have ever seen. And I've written A LOT of proposals. Good luck to everyone that is left!!!!

Haha I feel ya. Although I got Medium Priority the experimental design "concerns" were ridiculous and nearly impossible for me to satisfy. 

Haha I feel ya. Although I got Medium Priority the experimental design "concerns" were ridiculous and nearly impossible for me to satisfy. 

The comments about my proposed research itself were mostly positive, with comments stating how it had the potential to drive future policy decisions. Reviewers also pointed out my success in similar research projects prior to this one. The biggest thing I need to do is simply my explanations a bit more, so a wider variety of people can understand.

My immediate thought after reading through my comments, "Am I being punked right now?"

I was not. 

I'm too blown away right now to be angry. 

Me too, em829.  Did you apply for the postdoc fellowship like I did?  Or the predoc grant?

I applied for the predoc fellowship. Hopefully, we hear something this week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I just found your conversation from spring/ summer 2014 about NIFA grants--congratulations on yours Fishtox. I applied for one of the postdoc fellowships and also got the good news in August that my project was recommended for funding. However, it is now mid November and I still have not heard from the awards management people at USDA that this is official. Does anyone know when USDA/AFRI/NIFA will finalize this round of grants? Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi all - new member to GradCafe, so I hope bumping this old thread isn't frowned upon. I wanted to provide some insight for the USDA NIFA AFRI 2014 fellowship.

1) I applied for the fellowship in February of 2014 (around the 19th or 20th) prior to the deadline.

2) I received an email on from the USDA on July 30th, 2014 that my pre-doctoral proposal was considered meritorious and was recommended for the award.

3) I had to go back-and-forth with some paperwork and forms between myself, the USDA, and my campus over the next few months.

4) My funding officially kicked in on December 1st, 2014.

I hope this is useful for future applicants. I know the program has changed a bit now (it is the USDA NIFA AFRI ELI program I believe)... so maybe this isn't really relevant anymore, but just in case, I thought it'd be helpful to post the dates I received my notice and actual funds.

• 3 months later...