Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

Congrats, that is awesome and so exciting! 

I also received an exciting email when I was at work last night. Pretty similar - my POI at one of the programs said that I'm on the short list! I'm hoping this leads to an interview invite! I totally wasn't expecting this so early, or at all from this particular program lol.

Hooray! Congrats to you, as well! That's really nice of them to keep you updated and indicate that you're on the short list--I think that would suggest that your POI is very high on you, and now needs to fight for you and convince the adcomm of the same. 

I dunno, I mean, a bunch of my deadlines just passed today. I think those of us who aren't applying for clinical might have to stick it out for a month or two to hear all our interview invitations. I think March sounds like a great time to panic!

It depends on the school, but I had the same exact thing happen to me. She missed two deadlines (i.e. 5 applications) and emailed me after she got back from break to say that she was rapidly trying to upload letters. If you can, I would just type up a quick template and ask someone else to do it. However, this isn't always possible, so I would just contact the schools and let them know what's happening. Since application season overlaps with the holiday season, most schools are understanding. I was even told by one school that my application was considered complete, even though that last letter was still missing.

Thanks for your response! I ended up getting an email from a POI from one of the schools I only had 2 LORs for, so I guess they are still looking =)!

I'm panicking! I saw a tweet about one of my favourite POIs where they spoke about already phone interviewing prospective grad students. Are phone interviews a definite thing to progress to the next stage of interviews? Or can you be offered an interview without having a phone interview, but others did? I hope my question is clear...

Furthermore, if anyone would like to share their experience about their phone interview (not specifics but loosely) then please do. I have a few questions: how did the phone interview come about? Did they ring you out of the blue? or did they set it up for a few days later? How long did it last? 

Sorry guys, panicky international student here! Just don't want to miss out due to time difference etc

Furthermore, if anyone would like to share their experience about their phone interview (not specifics but loosely) then please do. I have a few questions: how did the phone interview come about? Did they ring you out of the blue? or did they set it up for a few days later? How long did it last? 

Sorry guys, panicky international student here! Just don't want to miss out due to time difference etc

Both are possible.  Most POIs emailed me ahead of time to schedule a phone call, but I did have one just call me randomly.  Also, one of the scheduled calls accidentally called me an hour early! lol

So be ready, but I'd say the norm is to schedule.  Especially if they know you're international, I doubt a prof wants to risk calling you at 2am.

Both are possible.  Most POIs emailed me ahead of time to schedule a phone call, but I did have one just call me randomly.  Also, one of the scheduled calls accidentally called me an hour early! lol

So be ready, but I'd say the norm is to schedule.  Especially if they know you're international, I doubt a prof wants to risk calling you at 2am.

Thanks for your reply Munashi!

Just curious, any international students out there who have done this before? Was the phone interview done? I was thinking it would seem pretty weird to hold two phone interviews or like a phone and a Skype one. Unlike the American students who will attend weekends, we won't be able to. Just wondering whether they would then favour one skype interview instead?

When did these professors contact you? I had one contact me after reaching out to him a few months ago, but I wasn't aware that I would be hearing from any professors during decision time. Is this typical for the I/O field?

When did these professors contact you? ... Is this typical for the I/O field?

I think my earliest contact for a phone interview was mid-January, but I definitely heard from some later than that.  Are you going for PhDs or Masters?  I applied to all PhDs and had phone interviews with everywhere I interviewed at formally/was accepted.  Some places don't interview at all, though.  I didn't apply to any of those programs it seems.  If you'd like specifics, feel free to PM me.

I think my earliest contact for a phone interview was mid-January, but I definitely heard from some later than that.  Are you going for PhDs or Masters?  I applied to all PhDs and had phone interviews with everywhere I interviewed at formally/was accepted.  Some places don't interview at all, though.  I didn't apply to any of those programs it seems.  If you'd like specifics, feel free to PM me.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I applied to all PhD programs. I think I applied to 3 programs who interview. Although, I only found this out by looking at the results search for previous years. Their websites don't seem to specify whether or not they interview, so it was somewhat of a surprise.

Schools and professors do interviews, especially phone interviews, every possible way.  I had programs where I was accepted with no previous contact (though my POI had talked to one of my recommenders at some length about me), programs where I was accepted after a phone interview, and programs where I was accepted off a wait list.  I was also, of course, rejected with no contact, and rejected after being waitlisted (after an interview).

I know in my own program, some admitted students were phone interviewed (like me), and some were not. I also know from talking to some professors here and elsewhere that this is not uncommon -- sometimes they phone interview because they aren't sure about someone, sometimes they phone to get a head start on recruiting a favored student and/or to find out if they are likely to "get" the student (though they may not be able to formally admit the student yet), and sometimes they don't call at all.

And I got phone calls with no warning, but I also got emails to schedule phone interviews.

It's really a dice roll, but there's not much you can do about it, so try not to stress too much (about that particular detail, anyway)!

I'm so nervous and stressed waiting for calls! I got a call today from a number I didn't recognize...but it was just from the Holiday Inn trying to sell me stuff.hahaha

Hahaha... every time I've gotten a call from a number I don't recognize I Google the area code immediately. If it isn't an area where I've applied to graduate school, I don't even bother listening to the voicemail that day. It's going to be a long month...

Hahaha... every time I've gotten a call from a number I don't recognize I Google the area code immediately. If it isn't an area where I've applied to graduate school, I don't even bother listening to the voicemail that day. It's going to be a long month...

I keep doing that to.  I applied at a nearby school (where I did my undergrad) that has a different area code.  Today I got a call from an unfamiliar number with that area code and they left a voicemail.  Turns out the glasses I ordered with my FSA money are ready to be picked up.  Groan.

Does anyone else see invites posted for schools they thought about applying to but ultimately didn't for some reason and wish they had? I'm having that problem.

I am definitely doing that! I know it's pointless, but it would still be nice to have applied to schools that were so early with news:)

Does anyone else see invites posted for schools they thought about applying to but ultimately didn't for some reason and wish they had? I'm having that problem.

Yep. Still don't know why I didn't complete that app to Penn State...