Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

I am returning to the applications scene after a 2-year hiatus, during which I worked in a cog neuroscience lab (presented 4 posters in the meantime, putting finishing touches on 2 manuscripts for submission) and also worked as an academic editor for second-language English speakers looking to submit to international journals. Really hoping this strengthens my profile!

My big lesson learned last time was that, by probability alone, you're probably not going to get in unless 1) you have an exceptional profile/exceptional fit and 2) you get lucky, given the sheer volume of applicants. To combat this, obviously top-notch GRE scores and casting a wide net are two ways to strengthen your chances. GRE scores might not be a huge factor, but they're a filter. I did great on verbal and writing (92nd and 95th percentiles, respectively) but awful on the Q (60th percentile), as I just didn't take it seriously enough. Don't let something stupid like the GREs keep you from being accepted! 

And as long as you don't have unbelievably narrow research interests, you have to be open to several schools, even significant relocation. Unfortunately, that's the reality of the admissions process these days. When I applied, the programs I was interested in had 300-400 applicants for 10-15 positions. This year, looking around, it was commonplace to have 600+ applicants for the same number of positions. 

Sounds like you will definitely have a strong profile Tolman! Though I might add that perhaps one of the reasons you got rejected your last round was not due to lack of fit/weak profile, but due to your weak score. I don't think GRE scores are going to get you "into" a program alone, but I do know (based on my convos with profs) that GREs are used as an initial screening. They may have seen your 60th percentile and written you off without even reading your SOP :/

GREs are stupid but if you don't pass the first round, your whole app gets chucked :/ One of my friends who applied and got rejected from each of his schools got this exact answer from programs when he asked for feedback on his applications. 

I actually have similar percentiles as you; it got me into my masters but I'm retaking for PhD apps. It's the name of the game, unfortunately. 

Edited by Gvh

Sounds like you will definitely have a strong profile Tolman! Though I might add that perhaps one of the reasons you got rejected your last round was not due to lack of fit/weak profile, but due to your weak score. I don't think GRE scores are going to get you "into" a program alone, but I do know (based on my convos with profs) that GREs are used as an initial screening. They may have seen your 60th percentile and written you off without even reading your SOP :/

GREs are stupid but if you don't pass the first round, your whole app gets chucked :/ One of my friends who applied and got rejected from each of his schools got this exact answer from programs when he asked for feedback on his applications. 

I actually have similar percentiles as you; it got me into my masters but I'm retaking for PhD apps. It's the name of the game, unfortunately. 

Yeah, as I mentioned in my original post, those GRE scores act as a filter, and my point was intended to emphasize that, while good scores won't get you in, bad scores will almost certainly knock you out. Unfortunately, if yours doesn't make it through the first pass, it's over. For instance, I thought I could overcome my low GRE-Q score with my exceptional statistics history and experience TA'ing the stats/research design course at my undergrad institution for 2 years. But they don't even get to that if they see the crappy GRE score. 

They say they look at applications "as a whole," but this is only the case after the filtering process has taken place :)

Edited by Tolman's Rat

Yeah, as I mentioned in my original post, those GRE scores act as a filter, and my point was intended to emphasize that, while good scores won't get you in, bad scores will almost certainly knock you out. Unfortunately, if yours doesn't make it through the first pass, it's over. For instance, I thought I could overcome my low GRE-Q score with my exceptional statistics history and experience TA'ing the stats/research design course at my undergrad institution for 2 years. But they don't even get to that if they see the crappy GRE score. 

They say they look at applications "as a whole," but this is only the case after the filtering process has taken place :)

Yup, agreed. They are "holistic" but only if holistic means you have good GRE scores. Hah! Are you retaking/have you retaken the GRE?

I'm an undergrad! I have some solid research experience (imo) and have had my interests nailed down for a while. Hoping this helps me.

I am also an undergrad with some pretty solid footing on research. I also have specific research interests (it's to the point where I can barely find any POIs that are able to take me in--behavioral epigenetics is still a new field). I also have my foot in the door by research volunteering for my only POI (so far). At this point, I can't imagine being anywhere else so I might apply to the two departments that the POI is appointed in (Biology and psychology--I have background in both, so it's not like it is out of place to apply to either) and hope that one of the departments will take me in.

Yup, agreed. They are "holistic" but only if holistic means you have good GRE scores. Hah! Are you retaking/have you retaken the GRE?

Haven't yet, but most definitely will. I wish there was a way to just re-take the quant. My GRE vocabulary is not what it once was!

I'm thinking that I'll take it around the end of the summer--give myself a chance to re-take if something goes horribly wrong.

Have you found a set of prep materials that you find reliable and helpful? I really like the Manhattan set (would have been better if I actually, y'know, used them properly).

Haven't yet, but most definitely will. I wish there was a way to just re-take the quant. My GRE vocabulary is not what it once was!

I'm thinking that I'll take it around the end of the summer--give myself a chance to re-take if something goes horribly wrong.

Have you found a set of prep materials that you find reliable and helpful? I really like the Manhattan set (would have been better if I actually, y'know, used them properly).

My GRE vocab isn't that great either right now - and yes, I understand, my verbal was great...shame to have to redo it. And about the prep materials, I caved and decided to sign up for Princeton Review's fancy in-person GRE prep class. It is fantastically over-priced, but I have a couple friends who managed to really get their scores up with a class. I studied by myself last time, which clearly did not work for me. And with my lab job/TA commitments and other misc. projects I figure having someone hold my hand through the study process would give me the best shot.

Edited by Gvh

My GRE vocab isn't that great either right now - and yes, I understand, my verbal was great...shame to have to redo it. And about the prep materials, I caved and decided to sign up for Princeton Review's fancy in-person GRE prep class. It is fantastically over-priced, but I have a couple friends who managed to really get their scores up with a class. I studied by myself last time, which clearly did not work for me. And with my lab job/TA commitments and other misc. projects I figure having someone hold my hand through the study process would give me the best shot.

I'm starting to think that's the only way I'm going to make some progress with this. I have lots of free time right now but I don't do well with unstructured time, lol. I've been purposely working on my thesis and other projects all day instead. Luckily I'm taking part in an 8 week REU this summer that includes GRE classes twice a week. But that won't be enough, so I have to really get going on this!!

I'll be applying to I/O PhD programs this fall, simultaneously nervous and excited! 

Haha same here, BTW can you please tell me which universities you are applying to if you don't mind me asking. Anyway 'Best of Luck" :)  :)

Haha same here, BTW can you please tell me which universities you are applying to if you don't mind me asking. Anyway 'Best of Luck" :)  :)

Sure! This list isn't all inclusive yet, and some are definitely a reach for me, but here's are a few programs/POIs that have caught my eye: 

• Penn State
  • DePaul
  • Maryland 
  • Portland State
  • Tulsa
  • Minnesota 
  • Xavier (MS) 
  • Virginia Tech 
  • University of Houston 
  • Uconn
  • Colorado State 

How about you? And best of luck as well! 

Sure! This list isn't all inclusive yet, and some are definitely a reach for me, but here's are a few programs/POIs that have caught my eye: 

• Penn State
  • DePaul
  • Maryland 
  • Portland State
  • Tulsa
  • Minnesota 
  • Xavier (MS) 
  • Virginia Tech 
  • University of Houston 
  • Uconn
  • Colorado State 

How about you? And best of luck as well! 

I sent you a PM..:)

Hi gradcafe! I am so excited that this process is finally happening! I just graduated in May and I'm feeling pretty good about this whole process. I already have an unedited CV, a list of 15+ POIs that I will narrow down once I find out who is accepting,  and slightly above the accepted mean GREs (although I will be retaking). 

To do:

SOP

ask for all LORs

continue research in a new lab this year

get on my knees and pray that the manuscript I have gets published in time

take the psych gre (I haven't signed up for this yet. Every school I've looked at recommends it. Is it worth it?)

One problem I'm having is trying to calm myself down from the two schools that I desperately want to be at. I would gladly work with all of the other POIs that I have identified but the two that I am dying for really hit the nail on the head in terms of research fit. Not to mention, they're in very cool towns (which would be such a plus, obviously not a decision-maker)

Hi gradcafe! I am so excited that this process is finally happening! I just graduated in May and I'm feeling pretty good about this whole process. I already have an unedited CV, a list of 15+ POIs that I will narrow down once I find out who is accepting,  and slightly above the accepted mean GREs (although I will be retaking). 

To do:

SOP

ask for all LORs

continue research in a new lab this year

get on my knees and pray that the manuscript I have gets published in time

take the psych gre (I haven't signed up for this yet. Every school I've looked at recommends it. Is it worth it?)

One problem I'm having is trying to calm myself down from the two schools that I desperately want to be at. I would gladly work with all of the other POIs that I have identified but the two that I am dying for really hit the nail on the head in terms of research fit. Not to mention, they're in very cool towns (which would be such a plus, obviously not a decision-maker)

I don't know if this helps, but I found throughout the process that the schools that I loved tended to love me back too :) The schools that I was so-so about felt the same way about me. 

Hey everyone!

I'm also super excited to start this whole process, even though it feels like i've been thinking about this for over a year already haha.

I graduated last May and have been working as a lab coordinator for a research lab, which I will continue to do until I get into grad school (crossing fingers!)

I'm mostly applying to Masters programs in Counseling Psych and Counselor Education (because gpa :/) but i've recently decided to add one or two PhD programs to the mix. 

Luckily i have my LOR's already locked in, and started drafting my personal statements for some programs already. My GRE's are fairly average, but i'm not sure whether I should retake them or not. 

So far this summer i'm going to try and get published, and contact profs for the PhD programs, as well as work on my SOP's. With work and all of this, I can tell it's going to be super busy, but i'm excited! :)

I've also noticed that i'm gravitating towards certain schools, probably because the fit just seems so right. Here's hoping they feel the same!

Hey everyone! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm applying for Clinical Psych programs for Fall 2015 admission. I'll be coming from a small, liberal arts undergrad college so I'm both excited and anxious for not only the new chapter in life, but also the huge culture shock! :) Currently I'm doing GRE prep 3x a week (cannot praise Magoosh enough!), and also preparing for my Honor's thesis. Narrowing down my list of programs/POIs is daunting but so so exciting. I'll definitely be checking this thread for updates. 

Hey everyone! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm applying for Clinical Psych programs for Fall 2015 admission. I'll be coming from a small, liberal arts undergrad college so I'm both excited and anxious for not only the new chapter in life, but also the huge culture shock! :) Currently I'm doing GRE prep 3x a week (cannot praise Magoosh enough!), and also preparing for my Honor's thesis. Narrowing down my list of programs/POIs is daunting but so so exciting. I'll definitely be checking this thread for updates.

I'm also coming from a small liberal arts college! I decided to go there because they have a 5 yr clinical psych BA/MA, but I'm no longer interested in clinical anymore. If it weren't for that program I probably would have attended a larger school, but the small school isn't bad.

Hey all! Anyone have any tips on what to do about the fear that I haven't found all the programs that might be good fits? I keep wanting to move on with the process but I'm afraid that the "perfect" program is out there somewhere and I'll be missing it if I don't keep looking for just a couple hours more...

Hey all! Anyone have any tips on what to do about the fear that I haven't found all the programs that might be good fits? I keep wanting to move on with the process but I'm afraid that the "perfect" program is out there somewhere and I'll be missing it if I don't keep looking for just a couple hours more...

Well, if you feel like you've exhausted your search and keep coming up with the same results, try just googling the schools/areas that you *really* want to attend/live in to see if there is anything that fits your interest. Additionally, if you haven't tried it yet, try doing an advanced Google search restricted results to ".edu" domains. I found a program that I am very interested in this way; it hadn't come up in my initial search because my interests are a "new direction" of the PI/lab and it hadn't been well published yet. 

Well, if you feel like you've exhausted your search and keep coming up with the same results, try just googling the schools/areas that you *really* want to attend/live in to see if there is anything that fits your interest. Additionally, if you haven't tried it yet, try doing an advanced Google search restricted results to ".edu" domains. I found a program that I am very interested in this way; it hadn't come up in my initial search because my interests are a "new direction" of the PI/lab and it hadn't been well published yet. 

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I've been searching by published research, but I will see what a Google .edu search offers.

You probably won't find all of them. It can help to discuss with any advisors that you might work with. Tell them the programs you're interested in. Often, if they're familiar with that research. they can identify other similar programs.

Also, find papers that interest you and then use the "Cited by" function in PSYCInfo. That will give you an idea of all the communication on a given topic.

Yea I would try to look up journal articles through google scholar and other methods.  Look for topics that interest you, and if you find an interesting article, check out the authors and see if they are faculty at universities that are part of graduate programs.  See what kind of research they are currently working on.  You can also just google an area that interests you and ad "lab" afterward.  That's what I tried.  For ex. Because I want to study the cognitive effects of brain damage, I googled "cognitive brain damage lab", and found this lab: http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/psychiatry/sections/neurocognitivestudies/ncal/home .  That's a lot better than just surfing through faculty bios.

You probably won't find all of them. It can help to discuss with any advisors that you might work with. Tell them the programs you're interested in. Often, if they're familiar with that research. they can identify other similar programs.

Also, find papers that interest you and then use the "Cited by" function in PSYCInfo. That will give you an idea of all the communication on a given topic.

Yea I would try to look up journal articles through google scholar and other methods.  Look for topics that interest you, and if you find an interesting article, check out the authors and see if they are faculty at universities that are part of graduate programs.  See what kind of research they are currently working on.  You can also just google an area that interests you and ad "lab" afterward.  That's what I tried.  For ex. Because I want to study the cognitive effects of brain damage, I googled "cognitive brain damage lab", and found this lab: http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/psychiatry/sections/neurocognitivestudies/ncal/home .  That's a lot better than just surfing through faculty bios.

Thanks to both of you for the tips! I'll look by "cited by" and search for labs as well.

Hey is anyone here applying to Canadian schools, if so which ones? What schools are the most and least competitive? What are your stats? I have a 3.7/4 GPA, one pub, one conference, clinical experience and research experience, thesis got an A+ with prospects of getting published.

Hey is anyone here applying to Canadian schools, if so which ones? What schools are the most and least competitive? What are your stats? I have a 3.7/4 GPA, one pub, one conference, clinical experience and research experience, thesis got an A+ with prospects of getting published.

I'm applying to University of Toronto's psych program. As U of T goes, the requirements aren't too far of a reach (3.7 GPA for final two years, 60th percentile or higher on GRE) for the psychology program. However, this is experimental psych, not clinical. I've heard that clinical at U of T is highly competitive, according to the results profile.

As for stats:

I have 3.51/4 GPA (upward trend). I had a GPA of 3.77 for my 3rd year and I expect that it won't plummet during my 4th year.

I have one poster at a national conference (single-author), one poster at a local conference (2nd author; would be first author if I could attend), one oral presentation at a regional conference (single-author), several posters + an oral presentation at my university's conference. Finally, I have a manuscript in progress (would be first author if accepted) for an undergraduate journal (BIOS).

I have worked on several research projects in psych and bio. I've done an independent research project for biology and made a large contribution with another project involving probability learning in rats. I'm also planning to do projects in my 4th year, including a course research project, continuing my independent research project, continuing a classroom research project and hopefully submit a manuscript for at least a couple of the projects (but it would be during the summer after graduation). Finally, this summer I am working in my POI's lab at U of T and I am learning a lot about the work I want to do.

I have not taken the GREs yet, but my last practice test was 160Q/155V which is on the edge of my goal scores. I take the GRE in mid-August.

I don't know if that helps or not...

Edited by Dedi

Hi! reading this thread has got me all excited about applying and it seems so far away!

I'm interested in HCI/Human Factors/Ergonomics from a cognitive perspective primarily, and also decision-making, creativity, problem-solving, and collaboration. I'm focusing on Cognitive Science departments, largely because I'm volunteering in a cogsci lab that I really like and I'm a little familiar with it, but I'm interested to hear anything you all know about similar programs in Cog Psych, I/O, or whatever else I am sure I'm missing :) Having a similar problem to bcaitlin, I guess :) 

In case anyone is as hungry for information and conversation about this field as I am, here are the programs I'm considering for cognitive science (this is in no order other than the two tiers (which are based mostly on rumors and estimated GRE ranges!), and is just generally for cognitive science, not based on my research interests yet.) I would LOVE to hear anyone's thoughts about this list, especially the tiers and which fantastic schools I am missing! 

Tier 1: 
MIT

UCSD

Duke

Brown

Berkeley

Northwestern

Tier 2:
RPI
UMD College Park

Johns Hopkins

Rochester

Also, my GRE scores are fine, but I don't remember my GPA (probably not great) and I don't have any publications or anything. Perhaps I should also be looking at some schools that are easier to get into. If you know of any safe(r!) schools with a particularly good professor, placement record, or anything, I'd love to know! Best of luck to all of you!