Few work experience but accpeted by the Big6?

bongin

I noticed that people accpeted by the Big 6--SFS, SAIS, KSG, Fletcher, SIPA and WWS--has strong work experience, at least 3 years.

I know schools above are all professional direction, but I'm still curious about anyone has few work experience, maybe 1 year even none, but accepted by the Big 6? Could you share your details?

I've heard from adcomms and from my own personal experience that if you had good internships and/or worked throughout undergrad (as I did) it's possible to be admitted, although some schools have a very strong preference for those with at least a few years of full time, relevant work experience AFTER undergrad.

I got admitted to all my schools except Fletcher, where I got waitlisted, with only one year of full time experience. I did however work part-time within the field during all of my undergraduate degree, and my curent position fits nicely with my future career plans.

In general I would say that you should get at least two years of full-time experience, unless you specifically want to pursue a career in research, in which case it becomes less important.

I also have less than one year of work experience--8 months post-grad, to be precise, and it wasn't 100% relevant (law firm).

BUT what I will say are 2 things:

1) It is significantly less safe to do it this way. You will always have a stronger application with at least 3 years of WE; and you definitely will be more eligible for funding with more/better work experience. I had one summer college internship and worked 20 hours a week during my undergrad. Honestly I think one of the things that saved me was that I had alot of leadership experience in undergrad organizations and took a separate volunteer leadership position in a very well-known nonprofit in addition to my job.

2) WE gives you alot of things that you just can't get in school. Many people in these programs would probably not be super excited about the prospect of "learning" from 21 year old advocates with limited exposure to the workings of the world--think about how that might impact your networking capacities at school and your ability to really engage deeply with the coursework. I won't lecture you because I'm obviously in a similar boat, but I will say that some part of me thinks I'm not really done living yet and ready to do this. If I had given myself ~3 years I would've potentially had some better experience and a narrower conception (and a more realistic one) of what I want to accomplish and which schools/programs to apply to; and it's possible I wouldn't be staring $120k in debt in the face.

Just my two cents.

I also have less than one year of work experience--8 months post-grad, to be precise, and it wasn't 100% relevant (law firm).

BUT what I will say are 2 things:

1) It is significantly less safe to do it this way. You will always have a stronger application with at least 3 years of WE; and you definitely will be more eligible for funding with more/better work experience. I had one summer college internship and worked 20 hours a week during my undergrad. Honestly I think one of the things that saved me was that I had alot of leadership experience in undergrad organizations and took a separate volunteer leadership position in a very well-known nonprofit in addition to my job.

2) WE gives you alot of things that you just can't get in school. Many people in these programs would probably not be super excited about the prospect of "learning" from 21 year old advocates with limited exposure to the workings of the world--think about how that might impact your networking capacities at school and your ability to really engage deeply with the coursework. I won't lecture you because I'm obviously in a similar boat, but I will say that some part of me thinks I'm not really done living yet and ready to do this. If I had given myself ~3 years I would've potentially had some better experience and a narrower conception (and a more realistic one) of what I want to accomplish and which schools/programs to apply to; and it's possible I wouldn't be staring $120k in debt in the face.

Just my two cents.

While I agree with most of this, this year the job market is so daunting for recent grads that I wouldn't recommend AGAINST going direct from undergrad with a good, thought-out plan of attack.

If the alternative to grad school is warming your couch or working in a totally unrelated field why not knock out the degree first and come out hungry when the economy is on the rebound?

Thanks for the advice you guys shared.

However, I major in Jounalism and Communication studies, which is a half-professional department. It means that I've acculmulated some intern-like-professional experience in the past four years, but not related to IR. Is it helpful? or I have to look for works associating with IR?

Thanks again:)

...this year the job market is so daunting for recent grads that I wouldn't recommend AGAINST going direct from undergrad ...

Me neither. With a great academic background and 2.5 years of solid work experience (making over $40k at a nonprofit at one point), I spent six months trying to find a job in San Diego and came away with one interview - for a part-time, minimum-wage retail position. I had to move to China to get a frickin' job for godsakes. I wish I was already a year into a masters degree.

I know most counties in the US aren't well over 12% unemployment, but anything after 8% is BRUTAL when you're fresh out of school and trying to find your first real job. If you know you want to go to gradschool and you have a really good idea of which degrees/programs you're interested in, I'd advise you to go for it. At least apply and see what kind of options you have while you're competing with the laid-off 35 year-old paralegal for a service job that pays under $10 an hour.

Sorry if I come off a little bitter, but it was a rough year in the US to get laid off twice and spend the rest of the time desperately job hunting. If you can avoid that experience by going directly to gradschool I'd highly recommend it. The debt difference is less than you think if you consider how little you'll make in the next year or two (I went $8k into debt in the last year alone just for living expenses) vs. what you'll make your first couple years out of gradschool.

Thanks for the advice you guys shared.

However, I major in Jounalism and Communication studies, which is a half-professional department. It means that I've acculmulated some intern-like-professional experience in the past four years, but not related to IR. Is it helpful? or I have to look for works associating with IR?

Thanks again:)

Not having direct IR experience will not be an ultimate deal breaker. What is important is how you relate your prior experience to wanting to pursue a degree in IR. As a journalist, you should be able to do this, and I can imagine that if you were working in the journalism field, you were at least reporting on areas that are cognates to the IR field.